Growing Strawberries

I am growing my strawberries in a 4 foot by 8 foot 12 inch raised bed using treated timber. It take 3 pieces 8 feet long and 12, 4 inch long decking screws for 32 square feet. With 1 more piece of timber you have an 8 X 8 for 64 Square feet. These beds last from 10 to 15 years. I have considered using fire rings for sunken bed gardens for sensitive plant like figs. After a cold winter I would have canes 18 inches long instead of 2 inches long at ground level.
Just remember Cake R Square, Pie R Round.

You may be better off going to a local pipe supply store and buying a 10 foot stick of double wall 36" hdpe culvert pipe than the galvanized pipe. It will last longer and you can cut to whatever height you want.

That is a pretty good density, small space plant by nature. I know perfect conditions would be ideal, but I may not be able to give them that.

You could grow in gutters mounted on a fence or wall, pinterest has lots of great ideas.

super idea but in my area its around $1000/20ft. im too cheap for that.

If you are OK with LDPE you can double the size of the 36in and go with a 110gal heavy duty tank for the same price.

2 Likes

ive seen themā€¦but FB is full of them too. I did see a guy who tip roots blackberries come up with a sweet gutter propagation channelā€¦ Lays the gutter in the row and tip roots like 10 canes at a time.

I have some old gutters, but i also have old cinderblocksā€¦ maybe do bothā€¦ see which i like best.

1 Like

I mentioned the gutters assuming your cost per foot would be less than a bunch of blocks, but if you already have both you have nothing to lose! You could even do a raised gutter setup above a cinder block tower and really make good use of a smaller space. Iā€™d imagine the plants would still get ample sunlight.

1 Like

Iā€™m not as familiar with LDPE but I imagine it is stable and long lasting, so yes that should work well. Iā€™m fortunate that I can occasionally get free scraps of pipe at work so I might grab some culvert pipes to try this out.

1 Like

My end goal is something like thisā€¦ i saw a guy doing it on the side of his barn and at first i thought they were rabbit cages or something but inside there were strawberries. Last year i just got too crazy with propagating runners and i only got a small cropā€¦then changed my mind on my bed after the deer browsed it twice.

1 Like

The only place and plants I have succeed to to grow in gutters is on my 3 story house with undesirable weeds. Not joking.

1 Like

I checked out the Culvert Pipe and I am sure that would work wellā€¦ but I just like the look of the Birdies Garden Bedsā€¦ I have been watching the ā€œSelf Sufficient Meā€ guy on Youtube for years and he has been using them for a LONG time and really brags on them.

For the longest time only available in Australiaā€¦ but in the past few years, available in the USA.
Below some details on their 8 in 1 bedā€¦

One of the options in detailā€¦

The Guy below James Pā€¦ shows how to make a hinged hoop house cover for oneā€¦

They come in several colorsā€¦ I like that color that James has thereā€¦

I think the 15" tall ones would be fine for Strawberry beds and I may try thoseā€¦ They do come in much taller versions too.

Two of those options work out to around 24 sfā€¦ a max of around 100 strawberry plants.

TNHunter

2 Likes

I like them too. I wish i wasnt such a cheapskate. Part of me thinks that that corrugated roofing and bending the corners would work. I know there are youtube videos on bending them but ive not tried it yet.

@krismoriah ---- Rural King has a nice looking galvanized fire ringā€¦ 49.99

36" diameter x 12" deep.

As you can see from the PIC, it is made in 4 pieces that you assemble to make the round fire ring.

You can get 8ā€™ Corrugated Galvanized Steel 31 Gauge Roof Panel at Home Depo for $22.00
It is 24" wide.

If you could rip one of those in half giving you (2) 8 ft by 12" piecesā€¦ and use that with the (half circle parts) of that Rural King fire ringā€¦ So that you had a half circle on each end, and a 8 ft stretch in between. That would be a nice sized bed (around 31 sf)ā€¦ and not too awfully expensive.

Might be tricky (or impossible) to get the corrugated parts to line up and get 2 pieces 12" out of that roof panel.

2 Likes

https://www.menards.com/main/outdoors/fire-pits-outdoor-heating/backyard-creations-reg-galvanized-steel-fire-ring/dc15-17580/p-1471355310489.htm

There are some 48" galvanized fire rings out thereā€¦ most seem to run around 90.00
This one looks to be 18.3 inch tall. If you wanted one a little deeper this might work.

48" would be a little difficult to reach across so you may have to walk around itā€¦

Where the 36" give you 7.06 sf, the 48" would give 12.5 sf

2 x 2 x 3.1416 = 12.5664 ā€” possibly 50 or a few more strawberry plants.

2 Likes

Im still too cheap and like to recycle. I used to have a fleet of dump trucks and semisā€¦ i sold all kinds of my old broken and warped rims to people as fire pitsā€¦ i shouldve saved some for planters. I think they should go for $20 or so at a good heavy truck junkyard. These are the old dayton two piece rimsā€¦ obsolete but work really well as firepits. You can also ask for stud pilot rims, if you flip them upside down they have nice drainholes where the lugs go.
truck rim

5 Likes

@krismoriah @TNHunter I love the way the galvanized steel fire rings look, but they are so pricey!!
I just picked up this concrete mixer for a decent price, it is quite large. I will test a few strawberries in it, even if it doesnā€™t work I will certainly use it for lettuces.

1 Like

If you look at the cost per square foot of growing spaceā€¦ all of those are about the same.

Birdies 24 sq ft at a cost of 7.08 per sq ft.

Rural king 36 is 7.06 sq ft at 7.08 per sq ft.

The 48 fire pitā€¦ 12.5 sq ftā€¦ at 7.20 per sq ft.

I am not ruling out masonary options with my new house build eitherā€¦ but have not priced those yet.

1 Like

If you bought that at Lowesā€¦u may want to take it back. For $1 more you can get this at Rural King, its bigger and super heavy duty. I am gonna buy a few more of them for propagation and other ideasā€¦

I donā€™t have a location near me and shipping is nuts from them! Besides I think that would be excessively deep for strawberries in a container.

1 Like

Probably right. I will likely cut one in half with a sawzall and make 2 of them. im mostly going to use them for sticking cuttings and storage. Everything is so expensive nowadays i think they are a super deal for how heavy duty they are.

2 Likes