Growing Upland Rice

Anyone with experience, please share the type that you like to grow and how you processed it once harvested.

1 Like

i bough some seed 2 years ago but forgot about it. think its called duborskan ?

3 Likes

Are you planning on planting it this year @steveb4 ?

1 Like

ill try to remember. i think i got the seed from baker creek. so many seeds, so little time. grew amaranth last year. those things are a beast. only planted 6 plants and got about 9lbs of grain from them. quinoa grows well here also.

2 Likes

I hear you! How did you use the amaranth? Did you try to cook it? It grows wild here and I have harvested some and then forgot where I put it. :upside_down_face: Is quinoa easy to process?

1 Like

@FarmGirl-Z6A @steveb4 quinoa is very hard in my experience whereas amaranth is more delicious and easier to chew.

1 Like

they were both good. used them like rice. just bang the heads in a good sized tote then poured into another tote using compressed air to remove the chaff. i layed in the sun on a sheet to dry for a day before storing. it very easy. be warned . once you plant it it will pop up everywhere the next year but the young plants make tasty boiled greens or in a salad. or just let them grow to get some more grain. ive read you can pop them popcorn as well. if you got decent soil they dont need any fertilizer. some plants get over 7ft. quinoa about 5. got the seed from baker creek.

2 Likes

@steveb4 @FarmGirl-Z6A you can harvest like this Mustard seed Harvest

1 Like

I buy and cook quinoa, so I am familiar with it in that manner. I’ve never grown it though. Wondering if it’s worth growing… of course, I guess anything is worth growing if we had a serious supply chain issue.

2 Likes

@FarmGirl-Z6A

Yes and we had a few years of serious supply chain issues , price hikes, etc. Giving us lots of reasons to not need their food. They charged me $1.75 for a 16 oz coke today! Im feeling bitter over that purchase and others. Not literally but a person could get bitter.

2 Likes

quinoa is pretty narrow plant so you can grow it close together like sorghum. i have seed for a short season dwarf sorghum as well but haven’t grown it yet. its more for my chickens than me. i grew flax last year as well. chics loved it. im sure ill have more come back next spring.

2 Likes

one of my favorite salsas at shop n save here was $1.59 3 years ago. now $4.29. i feel your pain.

2 Likes

How is that even possible! That’s nearly 3 times the price!

2 Likes

most everything’s gone up that much here. ive talked to family in the more populated southern part of the state and they say its only gone up a little for them. likely the cost of fuel to truck everything up here. as we all know, shipping costs have gone through the roof. getting stuff to people in more remote areas is only going to get more expensive. why i try and be as self-sustaining as possible.

1 Like