Guerilla Gardening: I want to be "Johnny Appleseed"

So the etymology of “Lee” alludes to plums, I didn’t know that. It’s always fun to learn something new in linguistics. Eventually you start to learn patterns and figure out certain words without even checking their meaning. Also wordsmithing, but that’s a topic for another time. :wink:

Keep us updated on your guerrilla gardening! How’s that pluot for flavor? And was it selfed, or are those seeds crossed to something else? Either way, the results should be interesting.

As for my own efforts, sad (but not unexpected) news… they’ve ground to a halt. The project was just beginning to take off in its first location when the pandemic hit. Naturally, I abandoned it with hypochondriac paranoia. When I finally checked in, the strawberries and raspberries were dead without my watering, and the drought-stunted & heavily weed-encroached Dragonfruit were ripped out by municipal workers. No other losses because I hadn’t gone any further in my efforts back then. The dream still lives and I intend to return to it, especially now that I’m out & about more casually. But for now, with all the projects at hand, the greater guerrilla project will be on the back burner for a bit. That said, I think I’ll be planting out the Shangri-La mulberries just outside the basketball park soon, for the neighbors to enjoy. I’ll surround with some concrete blocks for more overt protection.

Splash is not listed as a self fertile type and I have 12 total plums-pulots and 2 peaches. Everything pretty much flowered together. But Splash was the only one to set in quantity without serious PC damage. So for sure these are all crossed with something. Splash is supposed to be a very sweet plum but it was not for me this year. I failed to thin the tree thinking the Plum Curculio damage would do it for me. So they didn’t size up but they where still tasty.

1 Like

Hi Caesar, I would like to know if you are welling to sell Atherton raspberry rooted cutting/plant or trade it? If not, do you know any specific nursery in Puerto Rico or in the US that sells them?

1 Like

Nebai Fruit Garden used to have them, but they no longer carried them when last I called.

My own plant was tough to survive as long as it did in what was apparently not the best spot. Eventually, it succumbed (I suspect to the dryness).

I need to get another specimen, but they mostly grow in the mountains, and I can’t yet tell them apart from R. rosifolius, which also grow here (the fruit’s easy to tell apart, but the plants are quite similar).

lordkiwi, when you say your Splash wasn’t sweet in 2021, are you sure they were fully ripe?

I’ve found they go from palatable to exceptional over a period of several weeks. Meanwhile the brix is improving and tartness going down.