Guerrilla (Hidden) Rainwater Storage

I say do the trash can walls. That will hide it and block it with trash cans. Or a fake closet.

3 Likes

I actually am reading through Paradise Lot and they use goldfish. I have a fishtank inside currently but I got the negative on a pond from my other half (I just asked this weekend).

I would be re-using existing blocks to create structure around the barrels. It might not be the best option. I have to think about it.

The barrels would be mostly airtight except for when I opened the valve or they ever overflowed to the existing piping setup out to the street during large storm events.

1 Like

I might end up with enough space for that, but the driveway is filling with bench grafts and figs more every year haha.

4 Likes

Sounds like you need a shelving system up against your fence for potted plants. Nothing to stop you from stacking upward for more space.

1 Like

@disc4tw

55 gallon metal drums do rust out but believe it or not in the old days people used them for septic tanks and still do in some parts of the world. They rust out within a few years. Back to your project could you put them in the ground and hold back dirt? The answer is yes the ribs of a barrel make it strong. You might want to encase it in cement because it will rust out. Many places have very strict laws for a reason. Consider that lots of barrels in a city lot are an eyesore and harbor mosquitos so i understand. A fish pond is a great solution because literally it could be 15 feet deep and full of fish you could eat and use to hold rainwater. Anything below the frost layer wont freeze. A barrel of water 3 feet underground in my climate wont freeze but the connections above ground will. A gutter wont freeze because the water doesnt sit in it. Make sure your accounting for overflow so water doesnt sit in the gutter. We might need photos to see the space your working with. Most underground cisterns were made of rock and concrete or both. In my area rock was all they used on walls for a well or cistern. The ground is very heavy in clay here so it holds water well. Using rainwater is a great idea in my opinion. There will be some way to legally do it where everyone is happy. Started with small projects and eventually graduated to this rainwater catchment project https://growingfruit.org/t/ponds-are-a-great-investment/7033 .The concept of guerilla water catchment can have many faces. If you do a large water storage tank remember most are not meant to be buried so get one specifically for that or they will collapse as the dirt is very heavy. Many old timer died in the well or cistern hole he dug when the sides caved in. Mining was one better known example of cave ins. I’m confident whatever you do will be well thought out im just throwing things out there your likely already familiar with to confirm what you know already. The best answer might be give them your tail lights and head for the midwest.

1 Like

I have begun to familiarize myself with vertical techniques and plan to utilize more of them now that I have more “completed” space with a portion of my backyard fenced in.

1 Like

I was planning on plastic drums. That’s why I was concerned about structural integrity if backfilling. I’ll try to get some photos of my current situation and that may help with recommendations.

1 Like

@disc4tw

Plastic barrels if the ones im thinking of collapse easily.

1 Like

Since you arent allowed to collect rainwater…are you allowed to have a pond?

6 Likes

Once again, I had not thought of an “above ground pond”. That might actually be feasible. The reason we don’t want an in ground option is the drowning risk for small children, small children (child) who see rocks and other barriers as a challenge to be conquered.

4 Likes

I would love to do this… (above ground aquaponics) …also has usage of solar panels… :heart_eyes:

Also looks kinda Guerrilla…

5 Likes

thats crazy that they dont want you to collect rain! gotta love government! eggs here in the store is $5 a doz. what i sell mine for but the continued price increases of feed is making me seriously consider downsizing. it went from $15 a bag to $22 in 2 years.

1 Like

@krismoriah

Considered adding a swimming pool to the comment earlier. Like a pond or lagoon cities normally have strict fencing laws which are in most cases very legitimate.

2 Likes

I built a rain barrel system using a swimming pool of 1100 gallons

3 Likes

Which states charge you when it rains?

2 Likes

@PatapscoMike

Maybe he means in the form of charges for water from rain running off into nearby water collection areas? Nearby cities pump and purify river water in nearby counties. Our water in my area is managed by the county but its deep well water that is very good quality.

@steveb4

Try feeding your chickens straight wheat for grain. When i had chickens i did that and i sprouted a small area 100 x60 with wheat i would feed them cuttings off all winter. My chickens were healthy , happy and fed cheaply. In addition bugs and fruit and vegetable rejects were big parts of their diet. Sometimes i grew corn and picked it by hand running it through my $200 hammer mill cob and all. They dont do as well on corn even though it was heirloom reids yellow dent. They need higher protein and wheat is perfect. Cooked soybeans works as well if they are ground and mixed with other grains.

2 Likes

There are several, but MD charges you. Not for the actual rain, but for the runoff from your roof. They claim shingles pollute. There you actually have to collect it or be charged.

Yes.
I have buried them 2 in a series for grey water from a washing machine 5 years ago. No problem to date. They replaced a metal drum buried 20 years prior.
Standing up of course.
I have also buried one of those big totes with the metal cage around it. We did put a piece of plate on top of that one for insurance, buried deep.
If you are still worried about crushing you could fill them before backfilling.
Good Luck!

3 Likes

I had a feeling. I live in Maryland. That was a big Republican talking point that went wild on Fox. You are referring to the Stormwater Utility Fees on impervious surfaces. No one ever said shingles pollute, of course, but stormwater fees have been a thing in a lot of places since the 1970’s to try to reduce the impact of impervious surfaces to watersheds.

In the watershed I live in, several people have died this decade due to runoff from all the impervious surfaces along the steep hills in Ellicott City. The county is trying to get it under control, but it’s about impossible as most of our local politicians are funded primarily by developers. Fox did a great job making people believe this was a tax on rain. What it is is a way to get those who generate the most runoff to pay more than those who generate less (as opposed to just taking money from general funds). And you can’t avoid the fees by collecting the rainwater. Not sure where that came from.

5 Likes