Guess how much it cost to mail two seeds

That doesn’t seem right, 170 millimeters would be more than 6 inches.

3 Likes

When I’ve used an envelope to mail seeds I just had to buy a “non-machineable”stamp. I think they are a little more than a dollar

Is your Post Office a manual office or is the other Post Office a manual Post Office? The RSS system in decent sized Post offices calculate based on zip code and the manual does it by zone. Zone is determined by zip code but if read wrong can increase or decrease rates. Cost to ship an item should be universal unless you are driving far distances to ship it that may change the distribution unit. Like I said first class is not subject to inspection. We as employees cannot look inside an envelope if it requires opening. If it is something like pot we can have the postal inspectors look at it. As I and others said if you stick a none machinable stamp on it you should be covered. It will just not have tracking

1 Like

Also I have seen things like necklaces in letters via the clear piece certain envelope show. No one ever sent those back or postage due it because it fit dimensions and any extra weight was paid for.

Right, didn’t set zero.
Here is the correct one

1 Like

Well, I don’t mind buy a none machinable stamp. $1vs $5 , 500% increase! But the postal lady’s argument is that it is a merchandise(not a paper) so must mail with package rate

1 Like

Right, these are the things that normal people send through mail, small, not valuable(may have sentimental value). I sent key, button, etc through first class mail in the past and had never had someone told me the post office rules of can’t mail merchandise in first class mail rates

Like I said if it is something illegal or restricted it becomes an issue but that is about it. There are laws with cigarettes, no alcohol, no drugs even if legal in certain states, things like guns are to be sent to a dealer. So are there restrictions yes but we get plants sent over the mail all the time.

Wow, now try sending those two seeds internationally with a Phyto cert :melting_face:

2 Likes

I want to send two seeds from IL to MA. Other things, I am not going to say much because I have no particular details.
I much prefer to focus on whether the post office rules that lady claimed exist or not.

1 Like

You’re exactly right. (Many months ago one of my posts got flagged and hiden for saying just exactly the thing you said. Amazon gets a rate under cost…and the rest of us subsidize it. All because of the threat of eliminating Saturday delivery…they got a contract and some do 7 days…that postal union backed the cheap rates to Amazon and UPS…and my post office box goes up over 10% every year.)

You look at the salary of the CEO and can guess somebody got robbed.

All the people who make contracts with them get robbed. With USPS they get it dropped off 6-7 days a week and have to get workers in on holidays to do Amazon. If you ask the Amazon drivers to do anything they refuse and they never come on time. With Toys R US part of the reason they went bankrupt was because of Amazon not fallowing contract. With the employees of Amazon they get to pee in bottles, work faster and faster until not possible by a human and get hurt but not report it or risk being terminated. For the public we risk car accidents because of all the Amazon vans parking on the wrong side of the road. The only people winning with Amazon are the executives and the people who only do their shopping via prime. Everyone else loses.

OH? If so, did they need to raise stamp prices from 50 cents? And PO Box rent up over 100 dollars in 4 years? And flat rate boxes more than double?

It doesn’t pass the sniff test. Even if a business magazine did report enormous profits on the Amazon business.

My question is over how many packages vs customers. There are days where Amazon will drop off 1500 packages at my office which a typical customer would pay 7500 paying 5 dollars for that. If it was oversized and heavy like many of these packages are we are likely looking at a far higher number. We have customers who will get their Amazon boxes forwarded and they get sticker shock because they end up paying hundreds of dollars for them being forwarded. You either get a bunch of Amazon or you don’t. If you do it is not unheard of to get 3+ packages a day from Amazon. You start to see how fast that adds up if you have to pay for it with forwarding for example.

1 Like

To add to the Amazon lovefest here is their verbatim non compete clause for their warehouse employees:

“During employment and for 18 months after the Separation Date, Employee will not, directly or indirectly, whether on Employee’s own behalf or on behalf of any other entity (for example, as an employee, agent, partner, or consultant), engage in or support the development, manufacture, marketing, or sale of any product or service that competes or is intended to compete with any product or service sold, offered, or otherwise provided by Amazon (or intended to be sold, offered, or otherwise provided by Amazon in the future) that Employee worked on or supported, or about which Employee obtained or received Confidential Information.”

2 Likes

I like amazon. I made $240,000 in my IRA selling 100 shares at $3,600 that I paid $1,200/share for.

1 Like

Yup, USPS is a non profit money losing government agency so profit is not in their vocabulary. Even at 63ct/letter they lose money. I could get by very easily with no government mail service or money orders Most letters I get are junk that is thrown away. Overall they lose $billions/year. Why else keep a PO open in Gold Creek,MT my dad’s home town, with a population of 10 than to please the locals? What other business keeps rude, surely employees on the payroll? Happily I can now mail USPS dropped off at the UPS store without setting foot in as Post Office without dealing with government employees. So much for my opinions.

BTW I’ve been mailing out bubble pack letters containing budding tape and knife less than 10 ounces First Class on Pirate.com for $4 without interacting with PO employees.

2 Likes

In my experience with people dropping USPS packages and certified off at UPS you get to deal with the USPS employees when you crawl to them to fix the missing item. Weirdly USPS chooses to close positions in bigger offices. My level 20 office has lost 2 clerks and is going down to a level 18 but they are keeping smaller offices around it open. In fact the office I am heading to has no carriers and is a smaller office but has more clerks than my office.

1 Like