Hardy kiwi at high elevation

Has anyone tried silver vine??

I would like to try Hardy Kiwi on my farm at 7500 feet elevation north of Santa Fe. Hops and clematis both thrive here as well as plums, apricots, apples, peaches, cherries, etc. We are also blessed with wonderful and plentiful irrigation. Would anyone here recommend a source or have cuttings to share? I have heard the Michigan State variety is a flavor favorite.

1 Like

Hi, Weston.
My advice is - Don’t bother. I’ve lived in Tijeras at 7000 ft and am now on Los Lunas at about 4800.

First, I’ve found that the plants are very sensitive to the dryness and the sun. When I’ve gotten young plants, they die almost immediately even if I have them in shade and extra humidity.

I know some people have grown them on the north side of the house but the problem then, if you can get them to grow, is that the leaf out very early and will most likely be killed back by late frosts after they have leafed out.

If, despite my sage advice, you actually get them to fruit, I’d love to hear about it. Good luck.

You mention that your apricots “thrive” but I’m willing to bet that you rarely if ever get fruit on them. If you do get fruit regularly, please let me know. I’m working with an extension agent down here looking at apricot specimens that are setting fruit. Nearly all apricots flower too early for our area.