Hardy Kiwi Cultivar ID

I was wondering if there were any hardy kiwi experts out there who might be able to ID a kiwi cultivar by its fruit.

I purchased this particular vine a few years ago and this year (finally!) it produced flowers which actually resulted in a couple fruit. Unfortunately, this was supposed to be a male (mislabeled from the nursery).

Most fruit were scorched by the heat, disfigured by stinkbugs, or eaten by critters, so I only have a photo of one that was picked a bit early, ripened indoors, and was a bit shriveled (I’m working on learning how to tell when they’re ripe, but my sample size has been small!).

Anyhow, any idea of what this might be?

Maybe Cordifolia?

1 Like

While I am no expert the two I know of that are shaped like that seem to be Chang Bai and Dumbarton Oats

2 Likes

Thanks @gibberellin and @Gkight – this is really helpful to get your experience. I’ve of course done some searching online for photos, though I think a lot of pictures of kiwi cultivars online are generic stock images and not actually indicative of what the specific cultivar’s fruit look like.

1 Like

Its too late for Dumbarton Oaks in zone 8. It’s supposed to be ready about a month before Anna, which would male it ripe around mod Sept here in zone 5. I have one but Its not ripening much yet so Im not that familiar.

Chang bai has a really pronounced heart shape- yours look more like a squatty sphere. Id guess something like ‘Meader’ Where did you get it?

@hobilus – thank you, that’s a great data point. I just found a couple more fruit on the vine now that the leaves are turning yellow and the fruit stand out more; these are still quite firm, so my guess is they’re not quite ripe yet. And yes, I would indeed describe these as pumpkin-shaped or maybe a squat apple.

I purchased them from Whitman Farms. Lucile from WF lists Cordifolia on her website – they do look like some of those pictured by Bob Vance that gibberellin kindly linked. Though I noticed a couple websites say that Cordifolia ripens early? So maybe not so much?

1 Like