Hardy Kiwi Harvest 2018

The UNH paper found that there were three accessions in the USDA repository under the names MSU (PI 617128), Chico (PI 667888) and Jumbo (PI 617108), that all were genetically identical to each other. However, another accession listed as MSU (PI 617136) actually matched Ananasnaja. MSU may have never been unique, but simply Jumbo that was planted on the MSU campus and forgotten. Not sure about the original Chico, but it may have been selected from seedlings?

These are examples of what’s messed up in the repositories, but there are likely other mix ups at various nurseries that have not been tested. Probably depends on where the nurseries obtained the varieties and which nurseries donated the varieties to the repositories. At least the technology now exists to sort this mess out.

7 Likes

I visited UNH in early October to meet with Iago and Will. This year is the first year they have new varieties that have fruited. I’m curious to see how they tasted and if any had commercial-potential.

We taste tested about 100+ different varieties of their kiwiberries (everything from elongated fruit to round-ish). Even from a “blind” taste test, Genevas came on top as the best tasting ones. There is just too much acid in all of the current varieties and not enough sweetness to offset it.

4 Likes

Zespri NZ has developed a “Zespri Red” cultivar (https://www.nzherald.co.nz/bay-of-plenty-times/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503343&objectid=12291033) that they’re going to introduce next year. This same exact inside I’ve seen at UNH with one of the cultivars they’re developing too. It’s all possible, but Zespri has the backing of the Plant & Fruit Research organization, which spends countless $$$ and has many employees innovating the space. Unfortunately we here in the US don’t have that, but because the possibilities are endless in breeding new varieties, I really believe we’ll have a breakthrough in the next 5-10 years.

I bought “Lucy” apples yesterday from our local trader joe’s… all of this new type of fruit entering the market, anything is really possible, but it just takes time to do the trial and error.

Any updates for the last couple of years?

Freeze them, juice them, make wine (assuming you partake). I hope someday to have the problem you are having here.

1 Like

I made kiwi jam, but didn’t care for it that much. The jam worked for kiwi upside-down cake from mix. This year I had some health problems, so the deer mostly pruned my vines, plus I suspect a late frost must have gotten the blossoms. The drought and a hailstorm didn’t help, either.

1 Like

I once made a blackberry-kiwi jam that was really good. I would think strawberries-kiwi would work too as it is a popular flavoring for drinks, candy etc.

I never tried it but you could try drying them. I can say peaches are excellent dry. I blanch and peel them first.
Indian Free peach

2 Likes

Drying peach is a good idea. I will try it with my black boy.

Hardy kiwis have SBFS on skin so drying may not work. Also the fruit needs to become soft before further processing. Most likely I will pick up some big ones and leave the rest on vine and I may get some resins around winter time.

1 Like

Remove the skin. I used a potato peeler. It appears drying kiwi is common.

2 Likes

I think kiwis freeze well…i know you can get them in fruit mixes at the store.

1 Like