Harrow pears - my observations

I just ordered a dew drop pear aka HW623 - surprisingly a lot of the harrow series of pears are hard to find in retail nurseries here. Anyways anybody have experience with its precocity?

1 Like

Harrow pears are gaining in popularity what is everyone planting now from the program?

Good afternoon, Mr. Clark. Do you know of anyone growing harrow pear varieties in a place with extreme heat, like Texas?

2 Likes

@JerrytheDragon

They can handle 100+ F no problem. @Auburn may know even more since his climate is warmer than mine.

3 Likes

Iā€™m in DFW. Had 2 young Harrow Sweet pears. Lost both to fireblight first year they bloomed. Copper and lime sulfur sprays didnā€™t prevent fireblight for these. Heat over 105F didnā€™t faze them at all with regular watering and good mulching.

3 Likes

Thank you for letting me know. Do you have fb problems often on other pears. My pear trees are relatively young, but I havenā€™t been hit yet with Keiffer or moonglow. Iā€™m about an hour south of you.

1 Like

This year I have many varieties flowering. Asian pears all clear so far. Fb has hit Tennosui (not sure if this is true variety), Abate Fetel, Magness (very limited), and Red Clapp Favorite (mild so far). Potomac looks clean. Next door neighbor has an old pear harboring fb every year.

2 Likes

I have Harrow Sweet and Harrow Delight. Harrow Sweet is a fruiting machine and appears to handle the heat until ripening time and then I get some internal breakdown. My Harrow Delight grows well but hasnā€™t bloomed yet. Near central Alabama.

5 Likes