Harrow Sweet pear questions

Predators are probably not the only reason for your lower squirrel population. Even here in areas where there is lots of meadow between trees and forest, squirrel fruit predation tends to be much lower. Squirrels are reluctant to go far from the security of trees and only seem to do so here when they are starving, at which point they keep moving until they are either dead or find food. A population boom followed by low forest mast is a repeating theme that leads to problem years with squirrels.

Last winter brought the greatest crash after the greatest boom since Iā€™ve lived here. There is still a dearth of squirrels and chipmunks and even the bird population of fruit eating birds crashed and has not returned. Meanwhile, chestnuts and acorns lay on the ground with only the chestnuts being eaten, and by deer and not rodents.

I canā€™t be sure if the issue is only winter starvation from last winter. Also where there are bird feeders seed and nut eating vermin thrive. Even if the vermin canā€™t reach the feeders the birds knock to the ground about as much as they eat. I hate bird feeders- please donā€™t feed the wildlife!

1 Like

Great point. I fed birds for 1-2 winters, then realized that rodents were getting most of it. Never again.

I love birds. But I detest mice, the ticks that they harbor, and the Lyme disease that follows.

1 Like

I plant for my birds and bees. Flowers look better than bird feeders anyway, although they donā€™t always get birds through winters. Someone should study and come up with a planting formula that accomplishes that.

2 Likes

I canā€™t recall any freeze this past spring.

Most of my HS this year are affected with russeting. The orange one was badly affected. They are all HS believe it or not.

4 Likes

There is russeting due to cold and russeting due to variety there is a world of difference. This apple is meant to be russeted because thatā€™s its genetics

This pear is not meant to be russeted this was caused by frost.

Back to Harrow sweet its my opinion itā€™s not meant to have russeting because only occasionally are mine like that which I believe is due to the cool spring when the fruitlets are forming. Not all harrow sweet are like that. If not from the cold then it could be from a chemical you spray. Copper and others have been linked to russeting.
https://www.ag.ndsu.edu/drappletree/fruit-external-signs-and-symptoms/russeting

" Management and other important facts

• Russeting may be caused by a number of different conditions including extended periods of high humidity, cool temperatures during early apple development, the application of copper-based and other caustic pesticides, and powdery mildew infections.
  • Choose to plant apple cultivars that are less susceptible to russeting.
  • Prune the tree to open the canopy and accelerate drying of the fruit.
  • Be cautious in applying pesticides that are formulated as emulsifiable concentrates; wettable powder formulations are less likely to cause russeting.
  • Avoid excessive application of nitrogen-based fertilizers."
1 Like