Hazelnut harvest

Although my first three trees are in a bush form I’m not sure which method is best. I want a screen where my plants are so I will probably stick with the bush form and this method appears to be the easiest way to go.

1 Like

I husk mine by letting them dry on the deck, then step stomp and do the twist to loosen and dislodge the nuts, then pan for gold using a kiddie pool and finnaly pour from one container to another with a breeze to winnow the fine bits out. If anyone want a few to plant let me know, I have a few to spare…

8 Likes

Nice harvest! If that is your full harvest it is at least double what I got this year. I made one more harvest after my picture above.

I have just been picking mine up from the ground, I know they are ripe and they are out of the husks already. Is there a reason why you are picking them in-husk? Limiting squirrel damage?

The current batch I am drying in my greenhouse on trays, this is easier than using the dehydrator. Just set and come back in a couple weeks…

3 Likes

Impressive harvest. Looks like you have enough to munch on all winter.

2 Likes

Yeah I pick when the nuts are ripe but not dropping because those critters want them too!

2 Likes

One neat thing about growing seedlings is watching them over time and making selections, I am looking for hardiness, productivity, ease of husking, nut size. I have found two so far that seem to stand out and am saving the majority of those for replanting in my nursery. I want more!

4 Likes

I only have a few young trees plus lots of wild beaked hazel. The wildlife pick them clean before the shells are brown.

3 Likes