Hedge rows in zone 4b

i got a couple hundred siberian pea shrub seeds off eBay for $5. id think if you kept this bush trimmed down to day 5-6ft. w it would grow pretty thick. pea shrub is much more drought tolerant and cold hardy and can grow in poor soil so they would need no care. also are a good looking bush that fixes nitrogen as well. the seeds are 30% protein so make a good food source for birds and animals. I’ve read that soviet farmers during ww2 kept their chickens alive during the winter feeding them only pea shrub seeds. hardy to z 2.

3 Likes

That’s good thought…we’ve been conditioned to eat soybeans (in some form)…and I bet Pea Shrub seeds would be better for humans than soy!

1 Like

Siberian Pea is on the list of things that need to find their way into or around my orchard.

3 Likes

i read somewhere that the seeds can be ground into flour. don’t know how good it tastes but might be worth trying. my chickens will get the majority. if it saves me on some feed I’m all for it. if anyone wants a few seeds to try, i could share some. they are very easy to grow. eBay has lots of them for cheap.

2 Likes

Siberian pea shrubs are super hardy and excel here in the mountains they also do a great job at affixing nitrogen from the air and sending it to the ground and nearby plants. I did interplantings with these at my mother in laws in the mountains with great results and they are very pretty and important source of nectar for bees.

2 Likes