Hello from Ohio. Learning as I go

Hello everyone. I’ve been a member for a short time and have been reading through the loads of information here. Although the information is very good and well written, it’s still taking me some time to absorb it all. I have a total of 26 fruit trees including peach, apple, plum, pluot, and pear. The majority have been in the ground for two years this spring. Five were planted last spring and 4 this spring. I have yet to get any fruit as I’ve been trying to grow and shape the trees. Recently I’ve been pouring over the spray threads and intend to make my first large purchase of chemicals tomorrow. Up to this point I have been using OTC chemicals, mostly the Bonide sprays. I used Kocide 3000 last fall and this spring just before the leaves emerged. I also have only one application of the Bonide fruit tree spray that has Captan and malathion as the key ingredients. This spring has been difficult to spray with rains and high winds every few days. My peaches, plums and pluots have already dropped petals. The Apple and pear are still in bloom. I’m hoping I’m not to late in applying more Captan and Imidan to the trees that have dropped petals. The chemicals I have on my list for tomorrow are Captan 50wp, would like to get the 80wdg but this vender doesn’t carry it and keystone wants a fortune to ship it. $22 I think for a 6.25lb bag that costs $49.95

Imidan 70wp

Micronized sulfer

Some form of Miclobutanil
The vender I’m going to mentioned Rally and another one that started with Top and the second word started with M. Didn’t write it down so I’m reaching here. Are there any other recommendations that I should get? I’ve read about Monterey fungi fighter, Triazicide, Cabaryl, Spinosad and a few others but didn’t know if I would need all of those at this time. Of coarse, cost is going to be a factor for me so I was hoping to get buy with what’s necessary right now. As I’ve said, I’ve been reading for the past few weeks so I hope I’m on the right path. Any comments will be appreciated.

My basics are Kocide 3000 and a sticker ’ I use Turbo Sticker’. Triazicide, Monterey Fungi Fighter, Horticultural Oil, and, Daconyll. I stopped using Captan on my plums as it tended to scar the fruit. I buy all of my sprays from Do It Yourself Pest Control.com. They carry everything my Agway does not carry! Turbo sticker was hard to find at first. But the website above will help you.

2 Likes

Thank you for that information.

Mrs. G’s list is good. You do not need all the chemicals at once. Your trees are young enough that you will have time to learn what chemicals (or non chemical) you want to use. Some of them may do the same job but have different names.

Since you are willing to spray, instead of Bonide Turbo sticker, I’d suggest buy a gallon of NuFilm 17. It’s more cost effective and in my opinion, a better product.

Hopefully, someone else will chime in as I don’t spray a lot of chemicals at this point. The ones I use are good enough for me to get by. I don’t need perfect fruit. I just want want rotten fruit (by fungus or worms)

I get by with
Dormant oil spray
Kocide 3000 (peach leave curl, fire blight and canker - to some extent).
Myclobutanil (cedar apple rust, cherry leave spot).
Indar (brown rot)
Lime-sulfur (pear blister mites and other benefits)
Wettable sulfur (just in case)
Surround ( protectant from pests)
Bagging

2 Likes

Welcome Kevin! I’m in northeast Ohio near Youngstown and grow peaches, plums, cherries, grapes, apples, etc… I use dormant copper early winter and late winter, then try to follow Alan’s low spray schedule Spray Schedule- Synthetic Materials . I think the dormant copper is a good safeguard against peach leaf curl. I usually use daconil instead of immunox before fruit forms. I think it helps with black knot on Euro plums, which I originally had quite a problem with. After fruit forms I use Immunox, which seems very safe. This year I bought the bonide spray with captan and malathion but if I remember correctly the captan might do cosmetic damage to plum leaves so I’ll just use it on cherries, grapes and peaches and use the Immunox on plums. I have a few 5 year old trees and lots of three year old trees. If everything holds this year I’ll have my best fruit set on three year old Castleton plums, President plums, many kinds of tart cherries and most of my peaches.

Thank you mamuang and ztom. That’s​ great info as well. I’m sorry it’s taken so long to respond. I was in Maryland over the weekend visiting a college with my daughter.

I was fairly close to you ztom on Saturday morning buying my chemicals. I live 30 miles west of Akron. I purchased the following.

Imidan 70wp
Micronized sulfer
Captan 50wp
Rally
No film 17
Bonide eight.

I got home yesterday evening and was able to apply the Imidan, Captan, and Nu film. I knew the rain was coming but thought I would have enough drying time to at least do a little good. Man it’s pouring here now. The Apple trees were still mostly in bloom but I thought that I wouldn’t be hurting the bees much since it was evening and rain was coming. Thank you for all the responses so far. Fingers crossed that I did some good and well be able to spray again when this weather breaks in a few days.

Topsin M - a good old-fashioned fungicide. I mix it with Captan

I think that is the same or similar to Rally. What is your mix ratio per gallon?