Help needed with tip bearing apple tree

He is making G41 sound like they all fail at the graft, that’s just not true. A few varieties have show to have weak graft union on G41, Honeycrisp being about the worst. There are literally hundreds of thousands of trees on G41 with no graft union issues.
I have many trees on G41 and so far, no issues. I dont graft Honeycrisp to it because of the known problems.

5 Likes

If you only have one tree why risk a graft failure? It appears to be a healthy tree with lots of potential so make the most of the water empty spaces down low!

1 Like

You could say that about any tree, not just this tree.
Of all your trees, how many have you had on G41 that have failed at the graft? I’m talking about weak graft unions that fail under normal conditions? I’m going to guess not many, if any at all.
We’ve all seen where guys and gals lost trees this year during the derecho events, but that’s not normal, that’s a freak event. Lots of trees were lost. I travelled through the mid west this past fall and saw lots of trees that were snapped off, lots of cottonwoods and oaks, though not any in the orchards that I went past.

1 Like

I live where the derecho went through. I saw giant trees snapped off at ten feet above the ground, like toothpicks.

3 Likes