Help with my peach disaster

My pleasure, and to prove it works, seeing is believing.
My photos of harvests
Indian Free peaches

PF Lucky 13 peaches

Arctic Glo nectarines

Spice Zee Necataplum

Dapple Dandy Pluots

7 Likes

Drew, I remember that shot you took of all those beautiful peaches on your table!
I have an Indian Free peach tree and maybe this year I’ll see some peaches! :crossed_fingers:t2:

And @TN-Apple . . . by the way - what is that black tube thing on the 2x4 in your tree ? Are you training squirrels to run through it and do circus tricks on your trees? :joy:
I know there must be a perfectly sane answer . . . but I’ve never seen ‘whatever that is’ before!

Drews plan is excellent! And similar to mine in the states. Here I have to start from scratch, sorry, mis-read your question.

Drew’s is a blanket program that calls for, by my count, 11 sprays!

Maybe this is what is needed to get sound peaches in Tennessee, I wouldn’t know, but commercial growers around here use this many for pristine fruit during a particularly wet season while I rarely need more than 3 to harvest sound peaches.

In Tennessee you would probably need more than what we get by with, but you can never find out what you really need if you use a blanket program and year after year spray much more than you really need to.

No risk, no learn.

I really don’t think Drew should need to spray his trees 11 times to realize great harvests where he lives although some people want perfect looking fruit. If that’s the case you should certainly do what serves you best.

My customers that opt for pristine usually get a total of 7 sprays here and we probably have more disease pressure than Drew. Of course, I also use commercial formulas, so Drew knows more about what he speaks regarding what you can buy in small quantities. He is paying attention.

Neither of us are expert in managing peaches in Tennessee. Pest pressure can vary greatly from site to site within miles. From here to Tennessee is huge.

1 Like

Well done !

Yes. You are correct - in NY state you don’t have the disease pressure that the southeast suffers. Where I live in Virginia - it is a virtual steam bath. I’ve learned the hard way . . .
‘You’re not in NY anymore, Dorothy’.
And certainly not in San Diego!

I’m tired of putting in work, and hope and money - and still not getting even ‘half-way decent fruit’. Not even fruit that if we were willing to chew around worms and rot - we could at least taste!
So - if it takes 11 sprays . . . so be it.
I’m willing to try this - to see if this will get us something . . . even if the fruit is not perfect.

The reality might be . . . I probably should plow it all under and try raising ‘crawdads’ instead! :upside_down_face: (But I’m too stubborn for that!)

3 Likes

Persimmons, mulberries, and jujube’s do not need bug sprays. Those who wish not to spray could try those fruits. I don’t grow persimmons as I do not like them, many do though! The other two I grow. They do need to be netted. Netting is essential too. The green bird netting is awesome from American netting.

4 Likes

The best part about American green bird netting is that it doesn’t get tangled in the branches and comes right off!

1 Like

I get it and many home growers just spray throughout the season every 2 weeks so they don’t have to put much thought into it. That’s fine if it suits them or you.

However, I’m not sure how much more brown rot pressure you have there than here. It seems not as bad when temps get real high speaking from anecdote and we have had some very long stretches of humid weather in the mid to upper '90’s and even crossing that line in seasons past.

You might try a little experimentation and try leaving a small part of your harvest to less protection. Realize that Drew’s program isn’t based on your level of pressure either- I believe he gets less rain and humidity than I do. Try not applying brown rots fungicide on some fruit until a month before it gets ripe and see if it really is a problem there on small, green fruit. Wait till you see some flagging before worrying about OFM and some catfacing before spraying for stinkbugs. Just on part of your crop.

1 Like

Good idea! I’m not sure that I can keep it all straight . . . but I’ll see about tagging what ‘got the program’ and what didn’t! I am confused enough as it is! :crazy_face:

2 Likes