Here comes the 2019 pear harvest!

Hi Clark, how’s your Douglas doing? Thanks,

1 Like

The douglas trees are doing well but they do ripen until later in the year. I will post plenty of pictures this year! @Bhawkins hope your having a great growing year!

1 Like

Clark, you did send me some wood, but the branch I grafted
it onto died from FB. I appreciate the offer, but I have all the
pears I need. I wish I had your land, and your youth,

2 Likes

Agreed.

1 Like

Clara frijs partial harvest today! The pears in the sun are ripe enough to pick

A few maxine are ripe

Hosui on ohxf333 are not impressive

Eating the last of the Clapps favorite! Fine delicious melting pears! So delicious everyone who tried one this year rated them as the best or one of the best pears they have ever had. They are in my top 10 favorites and very early every year!

Drippin Honey are close!
harvest is to large and many branches are breaking!

Ayers are getting very close!

Korean Giant look great! At least half a dozen dwarfs are carrying a crop.

18 Likes

Clara frijs has a distinctive texture that reminds of a rome apple. Good sugar content no real acidity. Pleasant and fine but not a dripping juicy sugary acidic pear like many im accustomed to. Nothing special in terms of flavor yet but certainly nothing against it. Maybe flavor will improve next year. This pear will be rated as the best by someone sensitive to and liking the texture. Not a hint of grainy texture. Its only August 11th and most are ripe. As these trees mature flavor and fruit ripening times may change.

8 Likes

Clark,
Here are my “Harrow Delight”. A fruit dropped yesterday and one more today so I picked mostof them today. These are from a graft on a Blake’sPride.

You picked your HD around Aug 3, right? Do you refrigerate before consumption??

10 Likes

Nice looking pears. They appear to be larger than Harrow Sweet. Looking forward to your taste description.

1 Like

When I bought HD 5-6 years ago from a farm, they were small.

I thinned my HD and these are bigger than HS. I need to hear from @clarkinks if HD needs refrigeration as its ripening process.

3 Likes

hosui all my asian pear was affected making it very bumpy in shape do u know what disease cuase it or hiw to prevent? anyone know which variety is more or less prome to that disease?

1 Like

@mamuang mine tasted great with no refrigeration. They are larger than harrow sweet and very good in our climate.

The bumps may be due to stink bug damage.

1 Like

Those are beautiful they will be delicious as they ripen to a slightly more yellow color. You picked them at just the right time! Push on them with your finger and you will feel when they are soft.

1 Like

Summercrisp in here in the southern Rockies. Very late ripening this year.

Sweet, but not complex, surprisingly addictive. Gorgeous tree with spectacular bloom. Reliable bearer in a problematic climate. Attractive to deer compared to other fruit trees.

2 Likes

Ate another clara frijs today that was much much better than the last i had. Flavor had a little more to it and texture was very good, completely without any graininess to the skin or flesh. A really good pear but still going to take some time to determine if it will be consistent. Clara frijs is so far not in Clapps Favorite league but not bad.

1 Like

That’s a handsome pear!

3 Likes

I had a branch of Housi so weighed down with pears it looked like it was going to snap. Pulled 17 pears off that branch to prevent this. They’re a little underripe, but can still be eaten with a crisp flesh but not soft skin.

11 Likes

I find Summercrisp rather bland, but they make a tasty cake. I just quartered the pears, cut out the core, and threw them in a freezer bag without peeling them. To use them, spread the pears in a cake pan, sprinkle a little sugar or Stevia over them, and spread cheapo yellow cake mix on them and bake. Even better chilled the second day.

4 Likes

I should say cake mix dough, not just dry cake mix. I don’t even thaw the pears all the way first.

4 Likes

Looking sweet (no pun intended lol) Clark!

2 Likes