Here comes the 2019 pear harvest!

I never did update the tasting of the little unknown pear after a few weeks in the fridge and then another week or so on a shelve(so the family didn’t eat it :grinning:). It kept well, didn’t shrivel like the pears from my other tree did this year. The astringency was gone (woowoo!) and the flavor was still very intense with a unique almost spice like flavor I have never tasted in a pear before. I think I am going to start taking better care of that tree and build some sort of squirrel protection for the late summer/fall.
I bought a Seckle pear at Whole Foods the other day, I had never tasted one before. It tasted very similar to my little unknown pear with that unique spice like flavor.
So, my unknown is definitely at least a Seckle cross if not even just a straight-up Seckle.

2 Likes

Hi Clark my name is Gary I would love to talk to you regarding pairs and route stocks

Gary,

Nice to meet you! Please feel free to post about the pears and pear rootstocks. Enjoy the forum its a wealth of information!

Clark

Great looking harvest it sounds like that is an exceptional pear!

Hi Clark can you share with me your experience with Korean giant with betufolia callyerana and old home 87 or 97… for a zone 5B pros and cons of each thank you and any other info would be great

1 Like

Any of those in my opinion would be fine for 5b but my preference for asian pears is always BET rootstock

Gary,
This is a public forum. If I were you, I would not post my phone number for all to see.

After you have posted a 15-20 posts, I think, you will be able to private message Clark.

1 Like

I thought that was a PM!
Can’t figure this out not so good on the computer maybe you could tell me erase/edit that thanks

1 Like

Since you are hot computer savvy, it is easier for me to just delete that post for you.

For future reference, at the bottom of your post, there are a few symbols.

Look for the one with three dots
Click on it
More symbols will show up. Each symbol has its function.
For example:
The trash can symbol is for deleting the post
The pencil symbol is for correction, re-write, that sort of stuff.
The heart is for “like”.
So on and so forth

4 Likes

2020 cannot compete with 2019 in terms of pears! What a great year it was! We do still have plenty of new grafts and as i do the research i will keep you posted on my results.

4 Likes

Pa li , Kosui, shinsecki and others are still ripening in 2021 and a new 2021 thread has been created. Many fruit growers after us I believe will benefit from this research. Many of the apple and pears I grow are extremely rare. Most pears came from the Oregon Corvallis usda ars grin program.

1 Like

2019 was an incredible year for a wide variety of pears but I must admit every year has been an improvement. Many rootstocks planted in 2019 I will graft this year. 2025 will be an incredible year.