Here's some blooms of stone fruit

There seems to be slightly different definitions of showy vs. non showy. This is probably responsible for some of the confusion in bloom descriptions of various cultivars.

Most of the blooms are fairly straightforward on being either showy or non showy. That is, a typical non showy bloom will have smaller redder petals which don’t lay flat. Or a typical showy bloom will have large pinkish petals which lay flat.

I may have made a mistake on correctly identifying the blooms on busch83’s Reliance peach above because it’s not a close up photo. It’s hard to see from the pic, but it looks to me the the petals are big and pink (i.e. showy), which wouldn’t match Reliance.

I disagree with part of the Virginia Tech bulletin. Namely, I think it goes a bit far to say most commercial varieties have showy blooms. That may be true for some southern commercial growers, and perhaps CA varieties, but in the northern part of the nation (i.e. MI, NJ, etc.) it’s probably a pretty even split of showy vs. non showy, with perhaps a little more non showy.

For me, the non showy blooms tend to be more productive trees than showy ones.

1 Like

I may have mixed up the Reliance and Majestic. I have the tree tagged but was labeling off of memory. One certainly is less “showy” than the others. The blooms have a less stunning color with stubby, more conical, flowers.

1 Like

Some pics of some stone fruit blooms.

Wild plum, transplanted a couple years ago. The tree was buzzing with activity, although not a lot of honey bees, mostly bumblebees and smaller insects. The tree is quite fragrant, no wonder it’s attracting pollinators.

Juliet bush cherry, not a lot of blooms yet, but a few anyways.

Speaking of pollinators…

8 Likes

Ok.

There seems to be enough interest in types of peach blossoms, I thought I’d try to take some close ups this evening.

I think I’ve sorted out all mislabels sent me over the years, so the pics should be pretty accurate. Everything bloomed out here real quick with the very quick warmup.

The pic follows the variety listed

Earlystar

Risingstar

Surecrop

Garnet Beauty

Early Redhaven

Glenglo

PF eight ball

PF 9a-007

Saturn

Harken

10 Likes

Mark,
This is helpful. Thank you.

Your trees are at least a week ahead of mine. We have several cold, cloudy and rainy days. Even my daffodil blooms have not yet opened due to lack of sun.

2 Likes

Spring Snow

Redhaven

Starfire

Raritan Rose

Johnboy

Blazingstar

PF14

TangOs

PF Lucky 13

PF 15a

3 Likes

Ernie’s Choice

PF 17a

All-star

Glohaven

Loring

PF 19-007

Bounty

Canadian Harmony

PF 23a

Madison

Bunny (just caught). And yes I turned it loose.

Here he is in my shirt pocket before I turned him loose

One more pic. He gave me quite a chase

Sweet Breeze

5 Likes

Glowingstar

Cresthaven

Messina (sucks)

PF 25a

Redskin (my avatar pic)

PF 27a

PF 28-007

Encore

Laurol

Autumnstar

Victoria

4 Likes

Harrow Diamond

Sure Prince

Nectafest nect

Clayton

Challenger

TangOs Ii

Winblo

Blazeprince

Harrow Beauty

Intrepid

Scarletprnce

PF 24c

Julyprince

Veteran

Aurumnprince

PF 35-007

O’henry

That’s all I’ve got here at the farm. Contender and a few others are at the house. Contender is a non showy bloom.

13 Likes

Fantastic!!! Thank you!

1 Like

Certainly messed up the order on the first picture. Here are closer pictures of the blooms.
Majestic - Reliance - Arctic Glo

5 Likes

@Olpea - You confirmed that my SureCrop is not a SureCrop. My SureCrop bloomed early and had almost white blooms. Another mislabeled tree …

1 Like

This definately should go into the References category, shouldn’t it?

1 Like

Here is a couple more pics of peach tree blooms.

Contender

Baby Crawford

4 Likes

I took some photos of a few blossoms today. Only one was peach. But thought id post them none the less.

Scarlet Prince

Korean Giant Pear

Zestar Apple

Montmorency Sour

Flavor king Pluot

9 Likes

Beautiful close up pics.

1 Like

I love these showy peach blossoms, just beautiful. Next time when I want to add more peach/nect variety I will select those have showy blossoms first. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Loring:

Caroking:

August Prince:

7 Likes

Drew makes it seem so good, I was wondering when does arctic glo nectarine wake up for you guys in relation to your other trees?

Looks like some very nice trees and orchard. It would be fun to taste test all those. Your limbs look nice and strong from proper pruning. Do they still need to be braced when the fruit gets heavy, or do you thin enough not to?