Home weather stations

Thanks again for the info. Yes, two weeks doesn’t sound a lot, but might be just enough to make a difference in those fringe areas.

Looks like that explains why folks don’t get peaches in KY every year. I was wanting to try apricots on the farm, but from what I understand, they’re one of the first fruits to bloom, so it prob would just be an exercise in futility.

This is the one I’ve been looking at, AcuRite 01058RM Color, a bit of a step down from the 01079, but it has everything I need…

1 Like

I prefer the systems that connect to a home PC and do not have external display hardware.

I’m sure they have an APP for that! :grinning:

1 Like

As my phone has replaced about 97% of the need for a PC I always lean toward new tech that has apps rather than requiring a PC. I only turn on my PC when I do my taxes or need to print something.

Yes, but first you need to have the data hosted somewhere online. So a PC or another piece of hardware connecting your weather station to an internet router will be involved.

If your printer is connected by WiFi or hardwired to an IP router then there is likely an App to print from your phone to your printer.

That’s why I selected a Davis weather station because of the WeatherLink Data Logger. I wanted to be able to log my weather data online, and then share my weather data. And, I wanted an interface on my pc as well as a console display. I can access WeatherLink on my pc or on my iphone via a web link. And, I wanted a station that was solar powered, because I wasn’t sure I would have an electrical outlet near the best location (at the time, TBD), and didn’t want to have to run electrical to the weather station if needed. It took me a while to find what I wanted, and not pay some astronomical price for it, but I’ve been very happy with Davis. I have some decent computer skills, but it was nice to know they have a very nice support system, so I could ask just about any question and get a quick reply. But, there are several other options now available, more so than when I was shopping around.

Patty S.

1 Like

I’m running 3/4" conduit to mine to carry both power and data cables.

You’ll have have more options for weather stations, then. Most of the weather stations are wireless, so not sure you’ll need the data cable run, and I get really good wireless communication between my VantageVue receiver and the wireless router. My receiver is probably 100’ away from my wireless router, too. So, that might save you some extra cabling labor.

Yes, and several have a cabled option. I only have a 12’ run. :slight_smile:

Ah, well, that makes your options really extensive, then. Let us know what you end up with!

Patty S.

One the issues I have with the AccuRite systems is that the AccuRite’s cloud-based data storage system dumps all of your data after a month. So you can’t go back in time and see hourly data for December, for example. If you sign up with Weather Underground you can get your hourly (or to the minute) data longer.

I think the way around that would be to set one of those systems up on a PC, as theoretically that should be able to retain the high-res data as long as you want.

The high/low data is fine, but it is much more useful to calculate chilling hours from sub-hourly data than daily data. I do play around with it chill hours, but it doesn’t really matter for me. We get in excess of 1000 hours every year. Though excluding the last 2 years, most of that would come in March rather than January and early Feb.

1 Like

Slightly tangential so apologies in advance. Be careful with wifi connection. Any “smart home” device (wifi enabled cameras, thermostats, light bulbs, thermometers, and I would assume weather stations) are notoriously unsafe and can blow a hole right through your LAN security, leaving your computers and devices vulnerable to attack. Google “smart home internet security risk” and enjoy about 48 hours worth of reading material…

1 Like

Yes.

One of the several reasons why I’m a “hardwired kind of guy” with F-Secure running on my computer systems.

OK. I’m bumping this thread as I’m considering getting one of the AcuRite weather stations.

How can they possibly give an accurate temp reading since the sensor unit sits right out in the open direct sunlight?

Also - what do you do as far as winter precip? Snow in particular. I know that you won’t get an accurate reading even as it melts since a lot of the snow won’t stick to the device in a way that it would all melt properly into the rain collector.

With home weather stations, you get what you pay for. If you only want daily temperatures then just buy an outdoor thermometer.

If you are wanting to track high-low temperatures, humidity, etc. and calculate chill hours at your specific location then you’ll need something more sophisticated that has the capability of transferring data to your computer.

I’ve been happy with my Ambient 1400. I’ve had it installed for 2 years with basically no problems. Survived the Vermont winters just fine. It pushes data to wunderground as well as ambient’s own data portal.

1 Like

Put it in a slightly shaded area, or your temps will be way off. We put our sensor on a post underneath our deck, under another board, to protect it from getting wet. We seem to get accurate readings compared to local reporting stations.

Ours is just a simple Lacrosse station that shows indoor and outdoor temps/humidity on tbe display, along with a forecast segment, plus the time and date. It tracks the low and high temps over a 24 hour period. I don’t know if they even make them anymore, we’ve had it about 5 years.

It looks similar to this model, but with some subtle differences. It doesn’t have wind or rain measurement capability, but I don’t care about such features, just more stuff to break down.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/La-Crosse-Technology-308-1414-Wireless-Atomic-Digital-Color-Forecast-Station-with-Alerts/44971224?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227032396219&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=64533407936&wl4=aud-273067695102:pla-111315766376&wl5=9057977&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=44971224&wl13=&veh=sem

The one I’m lookin at has a 5 in 1 sensor that has everything (temp, wind, precip, etc) in a single sensor.

If you put it in a shaded spot it probably wouldn’t have accurate wind or possibly precipitation readings. The instructions appear to tell you specifically to put it out in the open. I read something about there being a fan inside, maybe a keeps it in later to keep the temperature accurate, but I can’t imagine it would read correctly.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/AcuRite-01036M-Wireless-Weather-Station-with-Programmable-Alarms-PC-Connect-5-in-1-Weather-Sensor-and-My-Remote-Monitoring-Weather-App/758557216?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222228157459746&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=268023342718&wl4=pla-498529851287&wl5=9007825&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=758557216&wl13=&veh=sem