Hooples Antique Gold

Does anyone have a good list of fungicides effective on Marssonina blotch? I have never had any of it and expect something in my tank is doing it in. Currently I am using Indar, myclo, and Elevate through the season … no Captan.

Have you seen this blog?

Marssonina Leaf Blotch Causes Apple Leaf Defoliation Where Cover Sprays Were Stretched in Summer 2018 » Aćimović Lab.

It was a bit outdated. I am going to spray fungicide against leaf blotch at about now like the article mentioned to see if it will help. My case is a full blown leaf blotch. Can’t ignore this problem anymore.

Captan is an older and relatively ineffective fungicide since many fungi have developed resistance/tolerance over the last 50 years. I don’t know what is currently rated for apples, but would generally suggest a broad spectrum fungicide with action similar to Quadris. Note that I have NOT verified if Quadris is rated for apples! Azoxystrobin is one of the better current generation fungicides and is one of the 4 in Quadris. Also, it is usually best to use 2 or 3 different fungicides over the season to limit potential for resistance to develop.

3 Likes

Captan is an old fungicide yes. But it works by multiple modes of action which makes it very hard for fungus to develop to resistance. It’s still widely used because it works. Daconil is also still used for the same reasons.

The newer fungicides like Indar and Immunox have a single mode of action and are very prone to having resistance develop.

3 Likes

What safety precautions do I need when spraying captan? Facemask And gloves? I see one report of it being carcinagenic in mice. I may spray Only immunox and report how that works. I have a couple grafts of Franklin cider apple That I will leave unsprayed as a test. Cummins reports Franklin is immune to cedar apple rust so I’m thinking it just might resist the new leaf Blotch. Apparently anything with golden delicious or Northern spy in its lineage may be highly susceptible. That pretty well includes most of my Apple varieties except boskoop, Monark And a couple heirlooms that pre-date Northern spy and golden delicious.

I wear a respirator, eye covering and hat along with a long sleeve shirt when spraying Captan. If I recall correctly, Captan can cause eye irritation and/or damage so I try to be careful with this one. I sprayed the nursery bed and 350 orchard trees yesterday with Captan & Imidan, took me about 7 hours. First thing I want to do when I finish is get in the shower. I have Cox Orange Pippin grafted to a wild crab here at the house. I left a branch of the crab growing until the Cox got established. As I started spraying Captan for the Cox I also sprayed the crab to prevent it from being a disease source for the Cox. Those small cab apples that were always covered in scab and the size of a golf ball grew into beautiful full size apples. They’re a bit rubbery if you let them go too long, but a really nice early apple. This spring the Cox finally bloomed for the first time and the original crab bloom overlapped with the Cox, so now I guess the crab is staying.

3 Likes

I was under some impression that crabapples didn’t get larger than a golf ball and that golf ball size were the largest. So, maybe that’s not a wild crabapple but a wild apple, instead…?

I would guess it’s a cross of native crabs and something else from long ago. The house sits where there was pasture with no homestead previously at this location. The neighbors have a 30 acre corner lot that is getting overgrown. It is full of wild apples ranging from crabs to what must be crab-crosses with old homestead trees.

Mine is finally making some apples. When does it ripen, say compared to Honeycrisp? My Honeycrisp on the same tree have dropped and are feeding the yellowjackets. I tried a couple of the Honeycrisp and they aren’t worth eating. I’d probably remove it, but that tree is leaning the other direction and the Honeycrisp branches are a counter-weight.

5 Likes

Now I’m worried that my Hooples is really Golden Russet- I got the wood from someone I don’t know through this forum. The apples are completely russeted. How disappointing if they are bogus wood. I may have to give up on getting wood that way and just get it from reasonably reliable nurseries, even if I have to buy a whole tree.

This pic was from Century Farm

Mine look like this, too. I got scionwood from @scottfsmith many moons ago. I trust my source.

5 Likes

@murky, my HAG ripens at the same time as GD. A bit south of you on the NorCal coast, that’s usually early- to mid-October.

@alan, my HAG fruit look just like Jafar’s, but we’re both West Coasters. I recall that the Virginia example from Tom Buford’s book was uniformly russeted. You might have the real thing.

1 Like

I have both Hoople’s and (English) Golden Russet. My HAG is uniformly russeted. EGR is not uniformed.

I will take pics to show. I got my EGR from Schlabach.

2 Likes

My impression in general is that russeting varies a lot by conditions. My Golden Russet can be completely russeted on one side and look like this Hooples on the other.

My Golden Russet also has a crazy growth habit. This are low in the canopy, maybe not getting a lot of sun on the fruit, although my impression was that they look the same all the way around.

1 Like

@jerry I’ll try to remember to check in a few weeks. Hopefully the big crop of other apples will keep the critters distracted enough for these to make it.

1 Like

@alan, is it possible you have Razor Russet? I’m growing both Razor and Hooples. My Hooples resembles Jafar’s, not surprising given my location out west, although mine has larger patches of russet. Razor, on the other hand, is always fully russeted. I can take a pic of them side-by-side if you like, but tomorrow, since I haven’t picked RR yet and aside from one I grabbed to test, HAG is still hanging too.

@murky, we’re probably not all that close climatically, but the HAG I just sampled, referenced above, isn’t ready. The seeds are dark enough, but the flesh still has a green tinge, and it’s not all that sweet—starches still need to convert. If it sat in the fridge for a month, it’d probably be decent, but it’s clear to me it needs another couple of weeks on the tree.

3 Likes

My Golden Russet is always completely russeted and once they are ripe I will compare them to my possibly fake Hooples. Because GR is the most common russet. I assume it is most likely what I’m growing, which really pisses me off. 4 years after getting the wood I was looking forward to seeing what Hooples was like after Scott’s rave reviews of it. I’m not a huge fan of Golden Russet, although many like it. I prefer Ashmead’s for it’s high acid content to match the sugar.

Maybe you could exchange some wood with me this winter. I probably have something that would be useful to you.

That gives me hope. Thanks. I should have gotten my wood from Scott n the first place, but he probably didn’t have any good wood when I asked for it. Most members aren’t growing their trees on 111 in good wood growing soil like I am. The only thing that limits my good graft wood is all the summer pruning I do.

1 Like

@alan
I hope @scottfsmith will let us know what his Hoople’s looks like.

There seems to be a big difference in appearance of HAG in the east vs west coast.

Alan, I’m not sure if I’ve had Hooples before, but Golden Russet flavor and texture has no resemblance to Yellow Delicious. It can’t be mistaken for one chance mutation away.

Also, Golden Russet is a tip bearer with an ungainly growth habit, also nothing like Yellow Delicious.

2 Likes