Hope You Got Your Seeds

I see what you are saying…looks like broccoli-raab and some cabbage relatives to me.

Chicory roots are what the Cajuns put in their coffee.

1 Like

Yeah, the broccoli raab is a turnip. The rest are C intybus like the Cajuns use.

1 Like

I had a fedex packaged dropped off the other day by a guy in a minivan. Never seen that before. Must be trying to cut costs where ever they can. I know Amazon wants to do there own delivery using electric vans in the future. They already have their own airline.

Amazon already has their own delivery wagons too…see 'em on I-75 in Kentucky fairly frequently.

FedEx is using everything from personal vans to U-Haul to Enterspise…and there’s a new delivery guy every week it seems…

Our fedex or UPS guy has a golf cart and a trailer that they will use in some of the quieter residential neighborhoods. I guess they have a bigger truck somewhere, and then just load the guy in the golf cart up, and there he goes.
They did this in 2019 too.

I’m getting sidetracked here (what else is new), but one night i had 3 mail trucks drive past my house//3 different carriers --same night… not one piece of mail in my box! I was like “c’mon man” ,…

I ordered some brussel sprout seeds from amazon seller…they came in a clear baggie…i’m like…hmmm… i really have my suspicion if these are the real deal. I’ve been screwed on crap plants/seeds before (ebay).

I ordered from Nourse today. Shipping was about $18 bucks on some strawberries.

2 Likes

Keeps getting weirder and weirder. Over Xmas i ordered some stuff from Walmart and some dude in a Prius pull outs a pretty good size box and then proceeds to snap pictures of it on my front steps (i just stood there and watched//he never noticed me//i’m sort of a stalker).

2 Likes

My mom has had great experiences with Seeds and Such, mostly tomato seeds, over a period of a few years.

2 Likes

Back when Nourse was a start-up company , along with Indiana Berry…I got good strawberry plants from them…been 20 years since I’ve ordered from either…so I hope they are still good folks.

I ship things with a ups business account regularly so I see the discounted rates. fedex and ups give deep discounts below retail to anyone who signs up as a business, and the bigger you get the better your discount. burnt ridge is probably stretching things a little if their goal was to charge actual shipping and boxing materials cost. but maybe they’re looking at it as something where they account for some of their labor too, who knows

I will say I chuckled when I got their email last week about “being out of the size of tree you ordered, so we upgraded you and charged more”. I wasn’t aware I ordered some special kid of unobtainium extra small tree, and I got some pretty nice sized trees from other sources and they were “just a tree”

would need box size, weight, start and end zip. eugene to brooklyn, 10lb, 12x8x8" box would be $18 for ups ground. retail is $25 so you nailed it. this is their smallest business discount that anyone can get just by signing up for an account and calling them for a code, you don’t actually need a real business.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/services/small-business/Special-Offers-Discounts.page

yeah amazon does way better. they can play ups and fedex against not only each other but also their in-house options

burnt ridge shipping doesn’t hurt my feelings, just something to keep in mind when cross shopping various nurseries, along with the potential tree size upgrade

1 Like

I’ve also been happy with my purchases from Seeds n Such.

1 Like

Amazon does that and then emails you with the picture of the package in the email a few minutes later. Cuts down on claims that the package wasn’t delivered.

My Burnt Ridge order comprised of 7 small items and cost 28.00 to ship. They also emailed me last week and down graded one of my shrubs due to inventory constraints.

What’s the deal on chicory and apples? Does it keep deer away from apples? Or do they just love chicory?
We have our apples fenced, but we are always looking for stuff that deer won’t eat. The herd here rotates through a three or four mile stretch, and I have seen as many as 18 a one time on my land.

Just ordered a few tomato and other seeds from Ohio heirloom seeds. They didn’t have as large an inventory as past years. I think we have enough tomato varieties already, but wanted to try some new ones.

3 Likes

They’re supposed to love chicory more than most things…so give’em something they like better than apple limbs.

Actually, planting some things under the fruit trees…such as currant bushes or helleborus or even comfrey…is something I plan to start doing. They get a bite of something they don’t like they seem to move on.

1 Like

Oh well, I was hoping chicory was the magic plant. So far I can’t say we have found anything they won’t try.

1 Like

Things spicy, pungent, or things fuzzy, deer tend to avoid…at least after the first mouthfull…
unless their food options are real scarce.

I ordered all mine on New Years Day. Got most of this year’s seed from Ohio Heirloom and a few new beans I’m trying from Vermont Bean Company. All arrived quickly except for the Monte Gusto pole beans from VBC are on back order.

Fired up my lights today and started some rosemary seeds. Probably going to throw a tray or two of lettuce under the light being there is room and maybe some leeks…

1 Like

I have a tray of onions and leeks and two trays of very hot peppers started and under lights. Germination of super hots is erratic at best so I start them a month early.

Now I need to re-assemble my light stand. When in full operation, it can hold 48 trays of seedlings.

1 Like