How big can figs get?

I bought a box of the black figs at Trader Joe’s, and also had a fair crop picking today. In looking for a way to use them I ran across a recipe for fig ice cream that called for 2 lbs of figs.

And then it says ‘about 20’. I look at my 1 lb box, which was about 20, and 1 lb of the ones I grew, that was more like 30-35, and I’m thinking ‘what kind of figs was the writer expecting?’

What kind of fig grows to be an ounce and a half each? My celeste figs are maybe three quarters and are a little bigger than an actual quarter.

2 Likes

Fig fruit is a lot bigger if the tree gets a lot of water. Not better but bigger.

My biggest figs are: BFF Bass favorite fig, I-258, Emerald Strawberry, Ondata, Del Sen Juame Gran, Nuestra Senora Del Carmen, and Bourjasotte Noire.

5 Likes

This year I picked brebas that weighted over 200 grams each. That means 4 figs weighted nearly 2 lbs.

4 Likes

This is the biggest fig I grow.

12 Likes

You hit a home run on that harvest. They look great.

1 Like

I posted pictures of some Brunswick on a scale. I’ll have to look again but maybe 150 grams, over 5oz. That would be about 6 fruit for 2 pounds.

What’s your opinion on the flavor, does it taste like anything to you, does the skin have a scent? Is the skin rough or tough, and how long has it been producing for you?

Is that a Breba fig or main crop fig?

1 Like

We’re the figs ripe? I bought some from Fresh Market and threw them in the trash absolutely no sweetness at all.

Flavor is good, but nothing special. Just generic “figgy” flavored. But it did ripen very evenly for such a large fig.

The skin wasn’t at all rough or tough. It’s been producing for me for four years now.

Main crop.

2 Likes

I have a fig cultivar that it’s figs sometimes looks a lot the figs you showed for the cultivar Impellizzeri, yet it’s certainly not the same fig I have based upon your description, the fig in that photo only the breba get that big on the cultivar I have, actually the breba on the one I have probably gets a little bigger than that. The cultivar I have is not ‘Just generic figgy flavored’ The one I have has a great scent to the skin as well. I have not tried the figs of the one I have grown outside of California, California is where I rescued it from, I was told that grown in the State of Georgia it’s as good as if it were fig wasp pollinated yet it was not.

2 Likes

Genovese Nero AF 177g

8 Likes

The blacks were pretty good. The greens I tried earlier in thee week were trash. These are the first good figs I had bought.

Another poster claimed they were good, better than what they could grow, in another thread. Why is why I tried to make a point of checking the local Trader Joe’s for a while to get some.

Beautiful. How did it taste? How do you winter it?

@JesseinMaine was that grown in ground?

No in a 35 gal pot

1 Like

I take it you bring inside in winter and give it a head start in spring then. 35 gallon pot is heavy though must use tractor to move it.

2 Likes

Best i remember this one was 155 g.

It tasted better than he expected it to.

3 Likes

No head start, it comes out of cellar in late April. I partially bareroot the figs I grow in 25+ gal pots for storage since no tractor

1 Like

Seem like that guy must have small hands, or the fig is low density to only be 155g at that size.

1 Like

Mediterranean climate + old tree + caprification make figs grow huge.

1 Like