How do you control White Clover around your Fruit Trees? Apple and peach trees. Clover seems invasive. When I spray when clover is in bloom the bees get it

Correct, it does not remove the root but it does cut the weed at or below the soil surface depending on how hard your soil is. That is sufficient for clover and many other weeds. It only takes a minute or two to do the area under a peach tree with most soils so it can easily be repeated in a week or two if weeds reemerge.

4 Likes
3 Likes

I am going to sow a lot of turf or micro clover.
It is said to flower significantly less. Which i thought to be a disadvantage. Might not be, after reading this topic.

I talked more about it here

2 Likes

Deer will eat clover, especially ladino clover. I guess if you want to see the cute deer in your yard clover would be nice. But what if the deer would prefer the buds and bark off of your fruit trees rather than the clover under them?

I hardly ever agree with you :). I do here though. Organic growers and conventional growers have to get used to the fact that neither is going away anytime soon. I myself use a hybrid technique. I grow organically when possible, but will use conventional pesticides and fertilizers when it makes sense to do so. I just don’t see these chemicals as very dangerous at all. Everybody has to come to their own conclusions. Like I see cell phones as extremely dangerous and you will never find one in my pocket.

2 Likes

Yeah i am an absolute nutter and went ahead and spent 20 dollars on a half pound of the microclover seed.

Usually i put clover out early and risk it getting a hard frost but not sure when i want to put this out

2 Likes

I agree cell phones are dangerous…but for an entirely different reason. They allow the powers that be to steal your privacy and anonimity.

They can plot on paper or computer a map of everywhere your cell phone has been…

2 Likes

The “powers that be”? Hmmm… what powers would that be? You wouldn’t be talking about the government, would you?

Moving on.

i just noticed this reply from you. Sorry for the late response.

Im going to sow the clover 2 weeks before my “last frost date” or mybe a bit later if i don’t find the time. So for me around may im gonna sow it.

The micro clover germinated best i thought at higher temps (10-20 celcius).
It was also advised to pad down the soil. Or roll it. The soil does not need to be freshly raked/airy after sowing.

And ofcourse water well.

The micro clover should establish slower than the annual clovers. The first year you’ll need to take care of it. The 2e year it should have a deep root system and be really strong.

1 Like

I also agree that cell phones are dangerous, probably for different reasons that you believe. The first thing I am going to do when I retire is through my phone in the river.
Thanks for this, you brightened my day

2 Likes

I think THROW your phone in the river is what you meant to say…but I get it.
I don’t own a ‘smart phone’.

2 Likes