How high can I reach with a pole saw?

When it dries I’m going to get a rope on the big ones and see what I can pull down. Bark isn’t slipping so probably can’t do too much damage that way. See if I can’t simulate a little wind.

On the plus side we did total 3.26 inches ppt. That’s 6 times normal total for the month and nearly the biggest storm total I can remember in 11 yrs here.

1 Like

That is a good idea to pull on the branch with a rope to see if you can’t pull it down. I might even hook the rope up to a good mower and give it a pull (a pickup would probably break the rope).

If you do want to rent a lift, last time I checked here (a couple years ago) a good one rented for $180 per day. I guess rental prices are fairly cheap around here.

1 Like

I had a 120 foot tree come down at my cottage. A beautiful oak. Cutting it up was a pain as the rounds were 300 pounds or so. Also it was in the air a little and would move as I cut off rounds… I have seen 2 people injured from trees, be careful. One using a pole saw, the branch came off and hit him in the head. He was never the same again. I have a pole saw but a short one, 24 foot or so. It works good, but you better be out of the way!
I usually call hanging branches widow makers, good luck!

They can flip doing this, be careful.

Use a rope first then tie a chain to get it around branch. Use the pick up with chain. I guess you would need a lot of chain though!
Some nautical ropes would not break, no way. They are expensive though! The ropes the freighter’s use are at least 6 inches in diameter. They hold a few thousand tons.

1 Like

Any tree service/lift is cheaper than a hospital stay and a whole bunch less painful. Ask Nurse Patty. If you decide to do it yourself, look at the tree cutting fail videos on youtube first. Us ol’farts need to use the wisdom we get from old age. Be smart and save the $$'s some place else.

2 Likes

Here’s some. Amazing lack of common sense.
https://youtu.be/c3gJNO9Cqyk

2 Likes

I had to remove an large old oak when I decided to start a small orchard. The ground shock when it came down. One branch imbedded itself so deep into the ground I couldn’t get it out so I just cut the top off. As Drew said very heavy wood. I have a dead one I’ll be cutting this week and these messages reminds me of how cautious I have to be.

Here’s a photo of me after I cut a very large oak. I was fine, just my odd sense of humor.

2 Likes

Thanks guys for all the informative and humerous info!!

Drew I’m very impressed with your tree felling prowess!! Those are monster trees you’re cutting up. Maybe you need a nickname PB.

Well the tree fell, I would not ever try to cut them down, but once down, they need to be cut up.

Just when I get all the trees cleared in my yard, a couple more come down the next year. It was a bad year with five trees coming down that year in the yard.

1 Like

I have pulled down pretty large limbs with a rope and a pickup. I like to throw the rope over all of the smaller branches and put a slip knot in it then pull it tight and suck all of small branches into a bundle. The farther out on the limb you are the more leverage you have.

2 Likes