How is your weather? (Part 1)

75° for our outing at Disneyland California Adventure Park today.

4 Likes

@smsmith, don’t know how close you are to here, but this is :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

Looks like a heat wave on the 2nd, all the way up to 13! Break out the shorts!

Brrrrmidji is around 2 hours north of here. St Cloud is about an hour southeast.

Tuesday and Wednesday next week show -30 for lows here.

Yeah, I changed it when I realized you are in central MN, maybe closer to St. Cloud? But still, yikes. Coldest temps in a few years?

2 Likes

I “only” had -28 on my thermometers last year, but a couple guys in the area said theirs hit -34. Seems every year I’ve been here it has hit -24 to -28 multiple times, but I haven’t had -30 or lower on my thermometers (home or vehicles).

What will really be a mess is if we have strong wind when it gets that cold. Doesn’t take much to drop the windchill into the -40s. The wind is really ripping right now, so if we hit the forecast -22 tonight…it’s gonna be friggin’ cold

2 Likes

Well, can’t say I envy you guys. I hate it when it’s in the 30’s, like today. I have on thermals, plus flannel lined jeans. Maybe a bit much, but I don’t have a lot of personal insulation. How do you possibly dress for temps at -20?? Do you have block heaters on your cars/trucks?

With temps like that, I guess you find out in a hurry what kinds of fruit (and veggies) grows there.

Not related, but how far are you from the headwaters of the Mississippi River? Isn’t that in Itasca State Park?

Layers are the key to surviving wicked cold. Without wind, a person can stay comfortable with the right layers. With wind…it’s pretty darn difficult. Last year I did my daily walk a number of times in -25 windchills. I’m not doing it this year, just too damn cold. We don’t have block heaters on vehicles, but many folks who have to park outside do.

Yes, Itasca State Park is the headwaters of the Mississippi River. That’s about 90 minutes north.

3 Likes

with my cold weather gear, I’ve been out all day , ice fishing in -20f if theres no wind. i won’t go out in 20f with any amount of wind. not fun at all! i have some insulation to protect me besides the gear so its more tolerable. :wink:

2 Likes

Ha, I’m not the only one!

1 Like

That’s what people are doing. They are having their pipes drained. We just heard from National Grid that the ‘turning on process will start in 4-5 days, hopefully no longer. They have to go to each house and turn on their gas; for me they have to re-light my water heater, oven/stove and dryer. I feel so sorry for the people without heat. I hope. Nat. Grid will pick up my tab for extra electricity this month!

Just another late January day.
Check out the low to the high spread lol

1 Like

-11F this morning… .some sw wind and a bank of clouds moving across the area prevented any real fall off.

Here ya go @subdood_ky_z6b…it was a bone chiller this morning. Windchill says -15 at 2 pm today. :cry:

Theres a small orchard in there somewhere…

9 Likes

It hit -19 around midnight, but some clouds moved in and kept us from going lower. It’s all the way up to -13 now. Should hit a high of -1 today. That’ll feel great compared to the forecast high of -14 next Wednesday

4 Likes

I grew up in Minnesota and being outside when it was that cold outside (sub zero) wasn’t that bad so long as your face was covered and you were moving. Standing still outside for long periods of time in that weather is painful no matter how many layers you have on (especially if you managed to work up some sweat on the way to where you were going to be sitting/standing.

I don’t know if I could move back now that I’ve gardened and grown things somewhere else. The only months I’m not really actively growing something in Virginia is January and February and even then I have a bunch of lettuce, kale and spinach overwintering.

5 Likes

Those are some serious lows @smsmith. I sure hope you guys don’t get that -30 to -40 this weekend/next week they are saying around your area. -15 is brutal on this side of the lake. I can’t imagine -30 thats hard on all things metal. When it gets cold like this I don’t enjoy swinging the splitting maul, I’m always nervous metal will explode or the stove door will fall off. LOL…

2 Likes

Sweating in extreme cold can be a literal killer. Base layers need to wick any sweat to outer layers so it can (hopefully) evaporate. I love my ECWS polypro longjohns

1 Like

This type of cold isn’t bad if the sun is out and the winds are calm. It sucks yes, but it comes and goes quickly.

1 Like

i have merino wool which is my base layer then poly long johns over that. same for top. even if damp , wool still insulates. with a good parka and insulated pants i can stand on the ice in -20f all day.

2 Likes

“quickly” is subjective :wink:

It sure doesn’t seem to come and go quickly here IMO. I enjoy central/west central MN from late April through mid-December. Other than that, it would be a great place to be “from” AFAIC

1 Like