How is your weather? (Part 1)

I love 4WD as when slipping on ice you have to work to fish tail. So for me it’s much easier to drive on ice with it. Plus in the snow it’s 10 times better. I wish I had it!

I agree with you though people think they can drive normal or crazy, You still have to drive slower if you have any type of a brain. I like it because it’s harder to get stuck, yet you still can. that is where it is the most useful. On stop and go, not regular driving.

Thanks, finally was turned back on two days ago!

3 Likes

I’d have to disagree and nominate California drivers as the worst.

Iceboats! Does anyone have those anymore?

1 Like

It seems like everyone has 4wd these days, yet many have terrible tires. I’d rather have front wheel drive with new winter tires over 4wd with worn down all-season tires.

Wow, that’s just painful, wind or not! 2 yrs. ago I tried a zone push with a z6 pear, Abbe Fetel, it didn’t make -19 last year and missed this year too. Hope your trees make it!

1 Like

Definitely Maryland drivers (sorry MD folks!). This particular comic strip was very popular in the Richmond area: image

4 Likes

. I live near Lake St Clair and it is a great lake for ice boats. nice smooth ice. Miles of ice to travel. Looks like A BLAST!

6 Likes

I can tell you from decades of experience with 4WD vehicles that yes, it is harder to get stuck generally speaking. However, once you get a 4WD stuck…it’s stuck and it isn’t going to be easy to get unstuck :confounded:

Marginal tires and no weight in the rear end of a 4WD pickup is a recipe for disaster. I’ve got 800 lbs. of softener salt in the back of my 4WD plow truck. Without that additional weight I’d have had that truck buried a number of times already this winter.

2 Likes

I like the all wheel drive technology that will shift acceleration to where it is needed. I thought it would not work well, but it does. It knows when it’s slipping and slows those tires.

I’m not sure what you guys do in Mn but here in MI we will drive anything in the snow, I agree you need whatever you’re driving equipped properly! I have a place on an island, no car ferry goes there, the river is unsafe to drive car on so we walk. We keep golf carts there and drive them around!

Here’s my place

The ice breaks up and the current pushes it along the shoreline, you can’t drive a car here. We do have snow mobiles too, but need the golf carts in the summer, so adapted them to all weather vehicles.

5 Likes

OK, in terms of crappy drivers, lets put some stats to this.

My daughter lives in SC. She says it’s horrific how many pedestrians are struck by cars there. It’s the third worse state of pedestrians struck per capita. Not only do statistics prove it out, but I’ve driven there. People speed like mad and don’t obey the traffic lights at all.

I once sat at a stop where it said “no right on red”. Nobody was obeying the light. It was like the sign never existed.

My daughter has been in two wrecks there (neither were her fault, and one was a hit an run - the other driver didn’t obey the traffic signals and struck her). I can’t imagine how these folks would drive if there was ice/snow on the road. It would be frightful.

I tihnk they call them “picker” boats are something like that. I know of a couple of guys who had them years ago. Also some guys use airboats on the ice. Some people just drive out as far as they can and walk. Others use sleds and even ATVs if the ice is thick. With open water in winter you can just land your boat and use that to get to pockets of ice or up by the dam.

GFS is “mild” this next week and beyond. Looks like more typical Feb weather. Very nice.

That is incredibly cool!!!

1 Like

I had a 4wd pickup in high school. It was fun (5 speed manual) but tires were everything. If you don’t have the right tread, you aren’t going anywhere. I remember i had some banana peels and my buddy had a 2 wd pickup (new tires)…same make and I couldn’t keep up with him in a snowstorm and i was in 4 hi…

My brother has Nissan Rogue and he has a set of winter tires (blizzak type) and that thing is amazingly good in snow/ice…(its all wheel drive to). I think good tires beat anything 2 or 4 wheel drive…weight also plays a factor…heavier being better. Trucks advantage is clearance mainly in heavy snow. Subarus are excellent winter cars. My minivan was always very good in the snow…plus it can haul a full sheet of drywall/plywood and still close the rear liftgate.

We are on Roller Coaster weather! It’s 13 degrees F here tonight and by Sunday - next- Wed. It will be back in the fifties. If it had happened in January, we would have called it January thaw. The huge fright to me is spring snow and freezing temps. Sure looks as if its going that way, eh Lois? Go Pats!

Wow, I can hardly believe the weather you are having. It sounds amazing (and a little scary). I wish I was there to see it!

Over here we have just had the hottest January ever recorded. The forecast for February to April is above average temperature and drier than average for almost the entire country:

2 Likes

Current Forecast for northwest Vista CA.

2 Likes

The globe it is out of wack

34F now…feels tropical. That is +65F from the other morning…not a bad turn around.

Rapid City, SD has such an crazy climate… From t shirt to parka

Rapid City sits a little north in latitude as my city yet can have these incredible warm winter days …

1 Like

Isn’t that great for all the agriculture out there? The stonefruit must be close to blooming in some areas?