How is your weather? (Part 1)

NWS seems to ECHO y’alls concerns… the Midwest and East look to be stay in MAJOR flood stage for quite some time…

2 Likes

The Quad Cities NWS had a facebook post asking for frost depths here in eastern IA last week, and I was surprised to hear that in some places with snow there was only 6" of frost.

There isn’t enough frost in the ground here to stop the city from doing a major storm drainage project in our neighborhood. Their contractor was out working in the dark a few weeks ago with the snow coming down in sheets in our 8-9" snow storm. I guess the equipment is all big enough now that the frost barely makes it shrug?

Looking like 4 warm and rain free days coming starting Sunday in Kentucky. So, everything but the flurries and frosts might be past for the season here. We are sure to have a flurry or two…Spring rarely arrives on March 10 without winter trying to argue about that.

1 Like

Spring will eventually come… May be next year…

2 Likes

Storm is just a couple hours south and the weather guessers still have no idea how much snow we’re gonna get. 6-14" is one heck of a range.

1 Like

upper 20’s and windy. 4-6’’ coming tom. night. then in the mid 30’s all next week! finally starting to melt!

2 Likes

I think they can get through that frost. We had a big water main break (under the road i think) in town here…what happens is the frost can penetrate a lot deeper thru concrete (no insulation like snow) so it can reach down and freeze those pipes…they dig right down to it. Huge mess when its cold.

Almost 40F here… nothing falling yet…when it does it should be liquid at least to start.

The models have not done well with this. The GFS seems even further south the last i looked. I like the 3km NAM (its hi res) ///it has been pretty consistent showing warm air being wrapped northwestward causing more rain then snow (this area/points just north and west)… this will be intersting to look back at and see what model was more accurate.

Seems to be about half the rain they were predicting - less than a half inch

More rain today! Yay! Started about 2 and is still coming down, and will probably last another 3 hours or so. I went out to cut some scion wood and it just started. It’s like geez, gimme 30 minutes to get this done. Nope. Got some pretty lively lightning too. Neither the wife nor the dog appreciated that. Needless to say the snow we got yesterday morning is all gone. But, it looks like the temps are normalizing, 50s and 60s all next week, with one night below freezing.

Raining pretty good up here and then it just switched over to heavy sleet. Roads are going to go to garbage fast.

Rained overnight, took care of most of the snow. Now we are back to a muddy mess. High was 39, Wind speeds around 30mph, gusts of 46mph. Lost an Adirondack chair off the porch…someone forgot to tie it down. It’s in a bunch of pieces now!

Blowing plus 40mph here right now. Suppose to get some serious precipitation next 24hrs…

1 Like

Finally after a very chilly, rainy, month of February, there is hope at the end of the 10 day forecast!!
God help us a couple of +70°F days on the horizon. :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunny::sunny:

3 Likes

It’s funny how relative weather can be. It was 40 here today and I felt hot in just a long-sleeved shirt.

3 Likes

I hear you. I have family in Canada and it’s tee shirts and shorts first 40-50° day come spring hehe

1 Like

I was outside yesterday in a t shirt breaking ice and i was hot.

Wet sloppy snow…maybe 2 or 3 inches. Very heavy.

2 Likes

Got about 7" yesterday/last night. I’m so sick of snow. Friggin’ plow blew (another) hydraulic line as I was just finishing up plowing. Now I get to fix it (again). I have never been more ready for spring

4 Likes

I think Spring is coming next Friday for Us. The temp will be in the 50s. Fingers crossed. Still got about a foot of snow on the ground. Melting time!!

Tony

1 Like

My neighbor has a 28" husqvarna that he says was almost not able to blow this snow because of how dense/wet it was.

Flooding is our next issue.

I’m ready for weeks and weeks of 80F and sun. I want drought. Super drought. Months with no rain. I want to not have to mow all summer.

5 Likes