How is your weather? (Part 1)

Now remember . You can’t decide what the weather is going to do ahead of time. You might just need irrigation! Ha! Blueberry, that’s an inside joke. I’m sure you get it…lol

Wow, that’s some crazy weather. Nobody being hurt with weather like that is a blessing

1 Like

Hearing lots of stories of flooded basements. Water has nowhere to go if you have no pitch to your foundation. Where there is usually a field by my house, it is a large inland lake right now. Lost a ton of snow but still more to go.

I heard a story of someone that says they are done with this crap (weather) and putting their house up for sale…

1 Like

Are they going to get on a capsule to the moon or something? It’s been wet everywhere.

2 Likes

I hear of a person who pumped all that standing water out. Dunno where he pumped it TO

A desert? I don’t know. I was saying the same thing to someone else. Anywhere you go you’ll run into something (fires/drought/hurricanes/flooding/tornadoes/etc)… I do think some people just get fed up with the cold/snow, but yeah…they’ll trade it for heat or heat+humidity depending on where they go.

I pumped probably 1000+ gallons out just yesterday in a low spot in front of my house. Nothing has come into the basement yet but i didn’t want to find out. Our street is pitched and it all just dumps into the Mississippi…

Just pump it into the neighbor’s yard? :wink:

The worst one i’ve heard was someone was on vacation and just got back and their basement was flooded and their backyard was a lake=== the sad part is the basement was just remodeled completely last year… ouch.

What size pump does it take to shift that much water to wherever?

I’m using just a 1/10hp transfer pump…i had it just for my small pond. You can also use bigger transfer pumps (they have a hose that connects on each end) or you can use a utility pump that sits right in the water (has a fitting right on top for hose connection)…those you can get really big in size…i’ve seen some that can pump several thousand gallons per hour. Sump pumps have a built in thingy that goes up when water comes up so it triggers it to run. I’m sure there are other types.

Where i live generally a lot of water isn’t an issue…we have very porous sandy soil. But because of the frost in the ground…its ponding so bad and looking for a place to drain.

—forgot to add…heard another story 000 someone lives on top of a hill just north of here…well they are pumping water down the hill…its going into another person’s basement…the road is flooded…just a huge mess.Oh and this is a new addition.n.ot old houses…i guess all the neighbors are going to sue because they told the developer over a year ago about the problem and they did nothing. Who knows…its just a huge mess. The river is shooting upward fast…Mississippi here is heading towards flood stage already. Covered with ice too.

A lot of what was liquid yesterday is back to solid today. I still saw some creeks that were open and a few drainage ditches backing up and flowing over the road. There’s still around 20" of snow in the woods, so it’s probably a good thing we froze back up for a few days. Looks like next week we’ll do a bunch more thawing.

1 Like

Not sure if you know where Hokah, MN is …but it’s about Wi/MN/Iowa border area… This is the road going there…need a helicopter today.

Yeah. The weather looks good from here until next Friday. 40Fs and 50Fs (max) and 20Fs at night. Next Friday may run towards 60F…Extended shows warm…we might see 70F before the month is out.

Good freeze/thaw cycle to let some water out of the snowpack a little (lot?) each day. Water is r unning down the streets this afternoon…39F.

4 Likes

Got 1/4 HP utility pump, wouldn’t think it could handle so much water

In the 50’s today, down to forties’ tomorrow. Fine with me. Sun and more pruning!!! My Montmorency is loaded with spurs again. So happy.

3 Likes

That is plenty of power for moving water…a new 1/4 one shows 3000 gallons an hour …

NAEFS looks warm/very warm to finish out March for upper midwest… GFS still hints at 70F for me. Hopefully a week from now the snow is down to parking lot glaciers and ice chunks.

Guttenberg, IA train bridge gone…looks like an ice was backed up against it at one point.

5 Likes

Just got done with a 48 hour power outage due to freezing rain/heavy snow and high winds. If anyone is curious here is a Facebook link to what my area looked like. Today was beautiful with lots of sun and little wind so the thaw seemed to get going again as we all dug out.

2 Likes

A balmy 8 degrees right now. With any luck, this will be the last kinda cold morning.

@roth2000 …,I was wondering about you and your area. I’m glad your power is back on

I’m in the same ballpark as far as temp goes right now and really foggy/frosty on top of it. Sure was a rough 48 hour patch but I’m hoping that was winters last big storm. I may be foolish for thinking that but it has to end sometime.

1 Like

Dropped to 25F here. Looks like a nice weekend. Sunshine and right around 40F today/tomorrow/monday. Might try to sneak my seedlings outside and put them in a sunny spot up against the house.

Mississippi River here popped above flood stage, although the rise seems to have steadied some.

2 Likes

Put your seedlings outside in a clear plastic tub with the top cracked open at least an inch or two. Keep a thermometer in it to make sure it doesn’t overheat. If the sun is out, it will get toasty in there. Bring them back inside once the sun goes down.