How is your weather? (Part 1)

@warmwxrules When was the last year you had a dry fall up there? Was it dry there in 2017?

We have been generally wet here but it seems like that NE IA and SW WI swath has been getting dumped on for 3 or 4 years now.

We were wet here in 2016 and 2018 but I don’t recall what 2017 was like.

1 Like

Awww…so this is what rain looks like!

I’d almost forgotten, after 3 months.

2 Likes
1 Like

August and Sept of 2017 were very dry…but…October had over 6 inches of rain. (over 3 inches above norm). November was dry though.

Sept 2016 had 10.5 inches of rain!

I would say the Aug to Nov stretch of 2015 was last dry fall. Looks overall about avg for precip. I would say the trend the past 15 or so years has been wet fall…2007 was when we had epic flooding in August (houses sliding off bluffs)… It is probably some sort of cycle we are in that i’m sure sooner or later breaks the other way and we’ll be begging for raindrops.

1 Like

We’ve had almost an inch of rain since midnight…

25 minutes later…

over 2 inches now…

4 inches…

Clear blue skies and no wind…temp of 68F and dewpoint of 37F… lock this in for about 6 months. I’m guessing this is like a winter day in Phoenix, AZ or Vegas…

Rain back already for THurs night…friday a washout…Very cool air moves in for Sat/Sun…maybe some snowflakes for someone in this area… 30Fs for lows…maybe frost either Sun/Mon morning …then it does show a nice warm up later next week back into the 60Fs…soo…winter isn’t here yet. October is pretty safe month (for not too cold of temps)… It is November we worry about :slight_smile: Seems like a switch gets flipped in November and fall says goodbye.

1 Like
1 Like

rain predicted all week with fairly warm temps in the upper 50’s low 60’s . potato farmers aren’t happy because they can’t dig in mud and the kiddos started back school so they lost a lot of their workers.

2 Likes

72F/42F…very sunny, very windy and very dry.

Not going to last though

1 Like

Big snowstorm coming, probably to my west and north. It’s still gonna get cold here this weekend. Highs in the 30s, lows in the 20s, windchills in the teens.

3 Likes

Brrr………. A 35 degree drop over a 4 day span was a shock to my system…glad it’s staying above 32 here for the next week or two, at least I think it is.

1 Like

I hear their is a snow storm coming? :thinking: Awwwwww…Quit yanking my chain!!! :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Probably see some snow flurries this weekend if GFS is right. Looking like a garbage weekend…although i think i’ll get the winter gear out and go hiking.

Saw a very bright meteor tonite while driving down the road… Probably one of the brightest i’ve seen. I guess there are 2 meteor showers peaking this week so it must have been from one of those.

just adding here…after looking at models…hmmm…i wouldn’t be shocked to see some snow accumulate even around here. Parts of North Dakota could easily see 2+ feet… Denver and areas around there will go from 80F tomorrow to 15F Friday…yikes. Hope people bring their plants inside.

3 Likes

That is brutal but normal for the front range. I’m on those maps but not as bad yet. Last yr our coldest night of the winter, 17F, occurred Nov 13, our first freeze of the winter. Looks like Denver will get the same a month earlier this yr.

The Flood Watch continues for

• A portion of southeastern Massachusetts, including the
    following areas, Barnstable, Bristol, Dukes, Nantucket, and
    Plymouth.

• From 8 PM EDT this evening through Friday morning

• A long duration heavy rainfall event will impact southeast MA
    and the Cape and Islands through Friday. Periods of rain
    today, then bands of heavy rain will move in from the ocean
    tonight and Thursday and persist into Friday. Storm total
    rainfall of 3 to 6 inches is expected through Friday with the
    heaviest rain across Plymouth county and Cape Cod. There is a
    low risk for localized rainfall amounts up to 8 inches.

• Significant urban and poor drainage flooding is likely.

It’s going to be hard on the trees. Especially since those lows come with snow (maybe 4" in the city, 2-3x that up in the foothills) and the fruit trees are still in full leaf. I plan on doing a lot of limb shaking tomorrow.

1 Like

You are right outside of Denver? Denver has pretty sweet winter weather. 60Fs or better in DJF… some cold mixed in…some real cold shots at time…subzero… but lots of sun. Property taxes are also super low in Colorado…nice bonus.

Low 70Fs and lots of wind here today…possibly the last 70F reading until next year. Should see some more 60F days for sure before the snow really starts to fly.

Well maybe compared to WI. The difference between WI and Denver is you get cold and stay cold with lots of cloud cover. Denver is like here, 80 one day and teens the next. I’d say Denver is better for most people because there are warm days with sun. But WI is easier on fruit trees. Constant cold is better for fruits than up and down.

3 Likes

Oh yeah for sure. We just get stuck for weeks/months on end of 0F to 40F high temps most winters. Rarely do we get out of the 40Fs and snowcover is usually constant once it gets on the ground. I was just thinking that you could actually open windows up at times during winter and maybe clean a garage or take a bike ride during a mild day. Probably could run a greenhouse pretty easily out there, although those cold blasts might get iffy given they get down to -20F once in awhile.

Not sure who it was, but some dude out there was growing bananas in the mountains in a greenhouse…must have been on another board.

Denver should be back at or above 80F later next week…this is just a detour. Warmth will return…looks warm out there (and here) as we head into later October.

Front has rapidly moved thru Denver… 83F to 41F… pressure rapidly rising… moisture has increased to with the cold blast… brrrrr

denvercoldblast

GFS model was showing areas near the North Dakota/Canada border getting over 40 inches of snow with this system moving thru the next few days… something to watch.

1 Like