100 PM AKDT Mon Oct 19 2020

…A TSUNAMI WARNING IS NOW IN EFFECT…

Tsunami Warning in Effect for;

• SOUTH ALASKA AND THE ALASKA PENINSULA, Pacific coasts from
    Kennedy Entrance, Alaska (40 miles SW of Homer) to Unimak
    Pass, Alaska (80 miles NE of Unalaska)

For other US and Canadian Pacific coasts in North America,
the level of tsunami danger is being evaluated. Further
information will be provided in supplementary messages.

PRELIMINARY EARTHQUAKE PARAMETERS

• The following parameters are based on a rapid preliminary
    assessment of the earthquake and changes may occur.

• Magnitude 7.4

• Origin Time 1255 AKDT Oct 19 2020
    1355 PDT Oct 19 2020
    2055 UTC Oct 19 2020

• Coordinates 54.7 North 159.6 West

• Depth 25 miles

• Location 55 miles SE of Sand Point, Alaska
    575 miles SW of Anchorage, Alaska

FORECASTS OF TSUNAMI ACTIVITY

• Tsunami activity is forecasted to start at the following
    locations at the specified times.

FORECAST
START
SITE OF TSUNAMI

• Alaska
    Sand Point 1355 AKDT Oct 19
    Cold Bay 1445 AKDT Oct 19
    Kodiak 1450 AKDT Oct 19

Snowing here today.

2 Likes

I don’t necessarily give much credence to the Farmer’s or Old Farmer’s Alamanacs, but I will say that “global warming” has skipped my part of the world.

2 Likes

I saw snowflakes this afternoon…other then that just cold and clouds all day. Sun did not make an appearance.

Does show a run at 70F on Thurs, but rainy. Outside of that, stuck in the 40Fs probably until November.

Turned on the heat this morn - grandson is here for the day

1 Like

I turned on mine last night. It had dropped to about 66F inside. Basement still is warm (ground heat) but the rest of the house was cooling down with no sunshine.

Snowing right now. Nothing sticking yet. I don’t like this. Wife started talking about Christmas music last night. I don’t like that either.

Slight warm up Thurs and then feels like December thru middle of next week.

3 Likes

7-8" of snow a few miles north of Des Moines. A new warning from nws, snow squall warning.

4 Likes

Your trees still leafed out? The Halloween snowstorm we had a couple years ago did a LOT of tree damage.

Ughhhh. It’s probably too much to ask for, but it would be nice to have a consistent winter for once instead of all the ups and downs we’ve been having recently. I remember a few years ago when it was 70 on Christmas Eve. So many ugly sweaters went unworn that year.

2 Likes

I have a feeling that we could end up similar to what @maineorchard said, mild winter and cold in early spring from late March, April into May.

If so, our stone fruit would likely get hurt again. Wonder if this will be a new norm.

2 Likes

Got 5-6" of snow yesterday, most of it is still out there now. Very little melting. Forecast says 5-9" more tomorrow. This is pretty crazy. It’s not even late October

1 Like

I read this set new records for earliest snowfall in parts of Minnesota…going back 140 years…so pretty significant. I’ll have to scan the Ft Snelling data and see if anything fell this early back in the early 1800s. Is this how ice ages start :mountain_snow:? GFS has single digits here early next week…lol I don’t even know if that is a thing here this early.

Nothing accumulated on the ground here but it was sticking to the car. Clouds again this morning.

The snow was mostly gone by noon. Slow release rain! We need anything we can get before the ground freezes. Good fall for corn and bean harvest. Apples were sweet and early this year.

Yep, measured 6 inches on the deck rail last night. Not sure if the same on the ground. No warm-ups in the forecast either. Don’t hold your breath on global warming.

1 Like

Went thru a few years of Ft Snelling (right next to Minneapolis airport).

Oct 1820
Mid-October snowstorm: record indicates that eleven inches of snow had accumulated on 14 October, the last day of a three-day snowstorm.

Oct 1833
Cold, sunny (twenty “fair” days) October. Significant snowfall 16-17 October. Reading of 34 F at 1400 on 17 October. Snow on 27 October. Reading of 29 F at 1400 on 28 October. Mild, sunny (twenty “fair” days) November. Very little snow during November. Near record warm December.

Did notice that a few years with Sept snows did manage mild November/Decembers so maybe this will flip back mild long range or maybe it’ll be the coldest ugliest winter in history :snowman:

Clouds all day again. Climbed to 43F. Should shift to east winds and temp should near 50F tomorrow (previous runs had Thurs near 70F…so much for that). Then back to winter until later next week.

We still have not been below 32 degrees yet…and we won’t be until at least Sunday Oct. 25…has to be a new record for late below freezing date.

MPS/SP weather is more similar to central/west central WI weather than here. That’s the “banana belt” of MN :wink:

Look out Minnesota. Incoming wake up call :snowflake::snowman::snowflake:

Yep. . . the peach :peach: trees are going back in the garage for the winter tomorrow. They haven’t even dropped their leaves yet!

My place is in the “2” or “1” area. Forecast calling for a low of 7 the night of the 26th

2 Likes