How is your weather? (Part 1)

We got about an inch of snow in half hour last night, it was coming down heavy with huge wet flakes. But we’ve had rain and low 40s all day, so that’s mostly gone. But another couple inches of snow over the next 24 hours possible.

Snow must not stick around the ground down there for more then a few days? Any idea what the longest stretch of snow cover you’ve had?

Well, when we had the 7" on Christmas Eve, it lasted about 3-4 days or so. It just depends on how warm it gets. I can’t remember what the longest time it’s been on the ground.

Back in '15, we had our coldest temps since we moved here (-14 and -6 consecutive nights) right after we had a foot of snow, so I guess it stayed a while. This year is the most snow we’ve had since then, but it seems to have been consistently colder. Usually we get more rain in the winter.

1 Like

subdood is right, 2014-15 is the longest in about 25 years…but I’d guess probably 6 weeks if you go back over the last 65 or so years.

A short appearance, lookslike

62F today and through the week. Next week 50’s, third week 40’s.

6-15in. coming tom. sledders will be estatic !

I told my son they won’t have school next Monday. Models look pretty firm on dropping us to that -20F or a few degrees above or below from Sun/Mon and maybe Tues. Not a pretty weekend coming up. Ice is going to be a foot thick or more.

Mild day and a mild week up until the great blob of polar air descends.

1 Like

The 10th to the 17th looks brutal. I’m guessing we don’t go above 0F on Sunday/Monday…and maybe a day or 2 after that… It looks like we get the main shot…eases some and then another shot. Lows could be around that -25F or colder on Sun or Mon morning (or both). Yuck.

2 Likes

We’ve been lucky here in the Finger Lakes. This storm is mostly south of us, the last vortex cycle was fairly mild, and it looks like the next will miss us. Snapped this unintentionally creepy pic yesterday right around noon.

7 Likes

So much for the warmer than average temp predictions for February.

5 Likes

Yep, not only does the Old Farmer’s almanac look bad calling for 10* above normal for February in the Ohio Valley…today the old GroundHog couldn’t have missed a shadow if he stirred from his hole today!

1 Like

I’ll add that the forecast locally is for 9 degrees next Sunday night.
That would make it the coldest night of the winter.
But…5 days out…flip a nickel to see if that’s what’s going to actually happen!

We got about 2" last night, my wife tried to drive to Morehead for work, but came back after about 10 miles. She said the road was too dicey to go any further, she was fish-tailing too much, even with her AWD CX-5, so she turned around and came home. Couldn’t even get all the way up the driveway, so had to pull into the driveway down the hill. I went out and cleared off the driveway best I could with a big snow shovel, and was able to drive it back up the hill.

Luckily she can work from home, which she does twice a week already. She’ll just go in tomorrow.

Sun’s out now, about 32, so things are melting a bit. Calling for 7 on Sunday night, me no likey…

Long range forecasting is like pulling a card out of a hat…but yeah…my dreams of warmth are dead. Now i will pay.

My stonefruit are toast. 2 nights in a row of this and more later next week maybe.

2 Likes

Anyone know. If i’m going to cut scion should i do it before this sort of cold or just leave it? I doubt the leaf buds will be impacted, but most of the flower buds are going to be toast.

For sure wait until temps are above 32 degrees.

1 Like

snowing and blowing like hell here! they upped the amount to 8-18’’! its heavy wet stuff also. might lose some power with this.

1 Like

I have the worries too. It is hard to cut scions with a foot and half snow on the ground

1 Like

Heres a pic of my backyard and further down, a pic

of the fruit trees taken today.

There are 4 rows of about 12 trees across.

10 Likes