How is your weather? (Part 1)

I applied a little white fertilizer yesterday.

7 Likes

LOL

it takes many decades for brush to build up in a area to cause such large a fire danger. it has nothing to do with the current government. the indians used controlled burns to reduce risks but modern americans didnā€™t continue with it. that is what created these fires and will continue to happen as long as people keep building in these areas. they have to figure out how to safely do controlled burns annually so as to keep the tinder from building up. not a easy task.

1 Like

The chaparral out here takes only 8 years to reach 12-15 feet. The fires typically donā€™t kill the roots. :open_mouth:

but it will burn the fuel. with the dry conditions regeneration should be slow. when i was stationed in N.M back in 90ā€™s , they used to do controlled burns to keep the fire danger down every year. we had a lot of under growth and piƱon pine was everywhere. without the burns i would think that area would have suffered the same fate as CA. my prayers are with the survivors there. no easy answers.

1 Like

The Cedar Fire of 2003 narrowly missed our neighborhood ā€“ mainly due to a diligent fire crew + volunteers who put out burning embers from 15 miles away as they fell from the sky. 2,820 structures, 15 deaths, 273,246 acres.

Since that time I have walked in the wild areas that burned, and except for an occasional charred sumac branch you wouldnā€™t know it happened.

1 Like

Just looking at GFSā€¦starting Sun thru next week looks VERY snowyā€¦very very very snowyā€¦ughhhhhhhhhhh

supposed to be a high of 12 thanksgiving day. been in the low 20ā€™s. finally warming back to the mid 30ā€™s next week which is where its supposed to be for this time of year. gonna raise hell on the heating oil bill!

They do controlled prairie burns around here every year - there are hardly any flames involved

Today was mid 20Fs but was freezing with the strong winds. Yuck. Sun early but clouds rest of day. So much cloudiness this fallā€¦and coldā€¦and rainā€¦and blah.

GFS still looks snowy. Iā€™d say anywhere from nothing to a footā€¦gfs might show 6 to 10 inches starting Sunday into Monday. Wet sloppy stuff tooā€¦temps right around freezingā€¦AFTER would be Arctic coldā€¦with possible subzero readings (not fun).

Euro shows a snowstorm tooā€¦

1 Like

This will be fun for traveling on Sun/Mon

1 Like

59Ā°F at 7pm, Disneyland

12z GFS pushed the heavy snow about 100 miles south. The Euro looks a tad further north. Definite shift south. Iowa/Illinois need lots of heavy wet snow :slight_smile:

Happy that the snowblower is coming back on Fri from the service place

2 Likes

Chilly, threat of snow tonight. Itā€™s pretty blowy here in RI on the sea, and very grey in the sky. Waiting for Mother Natureā€™s blanket of white snow! I can wait! Hope its not a duvet!

Fersure lookslike winter!

A low of -3.5F last night.

3 Likes

Holy Kasmoly!!! No Thank youā€¦Brrrrrrrrrrrrr

1 Like