How is your weather?

Why, please explain. How hideous for the people living there. What can be done?

went ice fishing on 4 1/2in ice today. the earliest I’ve ever been on ice. nov. has been colder than its been for a long time. we also have 13in. of snow on the ground. snowmobiles are already out and about. unheard of before thanksgiving. last year at this time the grass was still green and my evie2 strawberries were still putting out berries!

The state and county should never have permitted homes or cities to be built in a such a blatant fire zone.

Further, the changing western climate is rapidly drying other mountain areas into new high-danger zones – each of which are 100 to 500 sq. miles. I wouldn’t be surprised if in the next year or so a monster fire sweeps into South Lake Tahoe.

Wow, thanks for the answer Richard I am sure many of us Easterners and others have wondered what gives! Here we would call it building on a swamp!

Happy global warming :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Brutal around this area. Areas just to the west and south across MN/IA were very very cold for this time of year. Subzero before T day is rare.

Nationwide… dropped to 9F here in LSe but probably due to very little snow cover.

Interesting contrast across FLorida… 40F to the north and a tropical balmy 76F in the Key West overnight. Coconut palms swaying in the tropical breezes…furnaces blasting in the panhandle.

They also should NOT have ignored the vast tinderbox of dead trees and underbrush that existed without bulldozing huge fire breaks to at LEAST slow down the spread. They also should have REQUIRED larger exit lanes from such communities so people are not incinerated in their cars !!!
IMHO the state is grossly negligent.

The trees aren’t dead. They are externally dryer than normal. Also, the western pines are naturally full of turpentine. :fire:

Logging companies would love to perform clear cuts. However, a one-mile wide firebreak in the path of this fire would have only paused it 3-5 minutes.

You couldn’t provide enough lanes or roads for this fire. The real problem is that homes were permitted there in the first place.

I see it differently, as do others, but that is OK. Hoping the predicted rain gets there by Thanksgiving.

Keep in mind that the fire started in the Plumas Natl Forest. So any blame for condition of the forest goes to the Congress and President that defunded most NFS operations.

The design and number of roads in that area along with building permits are a function of Butte County – not the state of CA.

Still warm here, even for us. We’re also having lots of rain for what is supposed to be our dry season. I’m taking the opportunity to grow some things throughout the “winter” and get a veggie garden going.

Put these peppers in a (edit) 7 gallon pot today.

Unidentified mulberry potted up today.

I applied a little white fertilizer yesterday.

LOL

it takes many decades for brush to build up in a area to cause such large a fire danger. it has nothing to do with the current government. the indians used controlled burns to reduce risks but modern americans didn’t continue with it. that is what created these fires and will continue to happen as long as people keep building in these areas. they have to figure out how to safely do controlled burns annually so as to keep the tinder from building up. not a easy task.

The chaparral out here takes only 8 years to reach 12-15 feet. The fires typically don’t kill the roots. :open_mouth:

but it will burn the fuel. with the dry conditions regeneration should be slow. when i was stationed in N.M back in 90’s , they used to do controlled burns to keep the fire danger down every year. we had a lot of under growth and piñon pine was everywhere. without the burns i would think that area would have suffered the same fate as CA. my prayers are with the survivors there. no easy answers.

The Cedar Fire of 2003 narrowly missed our neighborhood – mainly due to a diligent fire crew + volunteers who put out burning embers from 15 miles away as they fell from the sky. 2,820 structures, 15 deaths, 273,246 acres.

Since that time I have walked in the wild areas that burned, and except for an occasional charred sumac branch you wouldn’t know it happened.

Just looking at GFS…starting Sun thru next week looks VERY snowy…very very very snowy…ughhhhhhhhhhh

supposed to be a high of 12 thanksgiving day. been in the low 20’s. finally warming back to the mid 30’s next week which is where its supposed to be for this time of year. gonna raise hell on the heating oil bill!