How is your weather? (Part 1)

I am not looking forward to that!

This is your new house and you already have apricots on the ground! I am sooo jealous. Sorry about the storm.

1 Like

Michigan, my Michigan, what in the world, today is barely 30, itā€™ll be teens again tonight, it blew over 40mph all day saturday to dark sunday, its going to jump to 60 on thursday? then be no where near that for awhile again. I donā€™t even care at this point, i will lay in my work parking lot thursday and declare spring is here.

2 Likes

@bleedingdirt hows the new digs coming? Doing a ton of outside work this year?

Looks like finally a springā€™ish forecastā€¦ Going to be some massive snowmelt in the next 10 days.

1st NAEFS that hasnā€™t shown blue in a long time for this area. A good welcome changeā€¦probably means a more typical/warmer pattern coming.

2 Likes

finally above freezing today . let the chicks, ducks and geese out to enjoy the weather . bought them some kale and overripe tomatoes for a treat. ducks finally gave us 2 big eggs this morning. hoping to have goose eggs also very soon! only time i can let the birds out is winter / early spring as they love to dig in my mulch , under my bushes, looking for worms once the ground is exposed.

1 Like

Do they all get along? We have birds but they are cockatielsā€¦

1 Like

for the most part. they have been all raised together so they think theyā€™re all kin. the geese are definitely dominant but our barred rock rooster will challenge them occasionally. of course he looses. those geese can bite hard! Iā€™ve hand raised them so they bonded to me but if strangers are around , and theyā€™re loose , they will try and intimidate them by squawking and rushing towards them with their wings spread. i scold them and they back down.

2 Likes

I love to have some chickens, ducks,and geese in the yard. Many many years ago I had a pair of ducks in my backyard. The male duck was very vicious and attacked everybody.That duck looked like the one in the photo:

4 Likes

muscovy. i believe they are a breed of wild duck from s. america. funny thing is these ducks are excellent mothers. Iā€™ve never heard or seen a duck attack and we had every breed. but not this one.

2 Likes

check your ordinances. i bet they allow hens. if you donā€™t have much room, get some bantam breeds. theyā€™re easy to care for and composted chic. manure is great free fertilizer! :wink: the friendliest breed i own thats a good layer for the size of the hen is the silver duckwing bantam. i have both a rooster and hen. they are very tame and one of the smallest of the bantams. i plan to put them together so i get pure chicks this spring to sell as pets. my silkies are ultra tame also but are poor layers.

Hoping for ground thaw

If you donā€™t have snowcover it should thaw pretty quick with rain and warm temps.

Showing about 60F here Thursā€¦ 2 rounds of rainā€¦ warm rain. Extended shows 40F to upper 40Fsā€¦some 50Fs ā€¦

I second the Muscovy vote, I hatched some in my classroom last year.

2 Likes

Glorious sunshine today! The high is 44, I had training this morning and took the afternoon off. My plan was cleaning inside the house, but I may have to change to the yard.

2 Likes

I inherited two Apricot trees actually. But this is a Moro Blood Orange tree.

2 Likes

Living in suburb of Chicago, Fowls are not allowed to keep in our village. Although the muscove duck is aggressive, they are very pretty and more willing to interact with people , or less afraid of people, so it is more interesting to keep as a pet.

i wish i knew of a source to buy them. the bigger hatcheries donā€™t sell them.

My husband was at our new home in KY Sunday and said it was 61! I was digging my truck out of a 4ā€™ snowdrift in MIā€¦ he got the better end of that deal Iā€™m pretty sureā€¦ The roads around me were blown shut with the drifts. I didnā€™t think we got that much snow, but it sure got moved and drifted. I heard 40ā€™s toward the end of the week here in MI. I wonā€™t see it because I am KY bound tomorrow morning - finally!

6 Likes

Please donā€™t say or type the H word. Bad karma.
Some one said the S word and we have 1.5ā€™ of it yet!
Thanks, Chikn.

2 Likes