How is your weather? (Part 1)

Winds are annoyingly strong today. Would be a nice day if not for the hurricane breeze.

20F tonite.

Nothing planted here. I think i still have frost in my garden bed.

I was just thinking… Home Depot had a bunch of trees out the other day. I really hope they plan on moving them inside tonite.

Got about a three hour storm here, don’t have a rain gauge, but guessing we got close to an inch based on how hard it was coming down. Got to upper 70s today, now low 40s, with mid 20s for Sunday night. Rainy days seem to getting further apart, ground is really starting to firm up, might have to plow in a few weeks.

1 Like

I saw 22 on Accuweather for tonight. Brrrr……I’ll bring inside some lilac, honeyberry, and redfleshed apples that have leaves nearly full sized. My bench grafts will just have to shiver and take it.

1 Like

Last nite I put a garbage bag over my leafing-out nectarine from CA

1 Like

I hear you. I don’t have nectarines, even peaches seldom get past the frosts with a crop.

Some of my 2018 grafted apples, especially some of the red fleshed ones, are leafed out (even though full sized trees in-ground have swollen buds but few are showing pink yet). So, even if the leaves get bit, I’m hopeful it will only be cosmetic damage. (Last year I lost several on M-111 rootstocks under similar situation…hopeful the B-9 and the G-30’s have hardier roots.)

My electric sprayer is stored in an unheated garage with a dab of antifreeze in it. I was really kicking myself for not getting it out and doing my dormant oil spray on that last warm day three days ago, but, this morning, I’m kinda glad I didn’t because it went down to 23°F last night.

1 Like

I feel sorry for you guys in other parts of the country. How do you plant with 70° today 20° overnight??? Holy! :snowman::sunny:

2 Likes

Smart. I’ve learned the hard way that a bit of RV antifreeze in sprayers at the end of the season leads to much less swearing the following spring

Dropped to 24F …

Lots of sun lately which is nice. No real significant precip until Thurs. Warmer the next few days.

Where do you put the antifreeze - the spray tank?

Forecast is 24 for our location tonight. Nothing really blooming here, so no real concern. I put my newly potted apples in the shed yesterday, might bring them inside tonight. Then back outside for the rest of the week. No freezing temps forecast for at least the next week, and only a bit of rain Thursday.

1 Like

The national weather service says we had a tornado on the ground less than 1/2 a mile from my house. It blew all 3 of my whirleybird vents completely off my roof as well as a little wooden structure (don’t know what its called) that my weather vane sits atop of. Lots of Trees and limbs down too. Rain was blowing sideways and hard as could be. All that being said, I neither saw nor heard a tornado and damage in the area they say it hit is just metal roofs blown off barns, nothing like you’d expect from even a small tornado, so I’m not sure they got it right. Oh well, could have been worse.
I’m much more worried about the freeze tonight! Here we go again. I got hit hard by the two 13 degree nights about 3 weeks ago. What wasn’t blooming or about to bloom then is doing so now, and they are predicting 26 degrees tonight. Unbelievable! Very sad, but such is life.

@subdood_ky_z6b I’m amazed that you still don’t have anything blooming since we are not THAT far apart. All my stone fruit have already bloomed or are blooming right now, so are my pears. Even a few apples have bloomed now here and persimmons are all swollen up. Glad you aren’t going to get hit too hard by tonight’s freeze.

3 Likes

85 today in Southern California!!

5 Likes

Well, there are some fruit buds on a couple of my pear trees that are close to opening up it looks like, but not fully “open”. My big pear tree has some leaves showing, but no fruit buds, but I don’t know if there will be any such buds this year on it.

And some of the peaches have very few buds at what I think are first pink, plus one apple tree, an Alkmene, has what looks like some pink on it, but nothing open. All the other apples are still pretty quiet, which is normal for this time of year.

Yes, we are close in miles, but are at least a half, if not a full zone difference. And it has been a long cold winter here, with not a lot of warm weather other than the last few weeks. Tonight will be in mid 20s, but nothing below freezing for a week after that. But, I’m not so sure we won’t get a 20 degree night in April. I think our average last freeze day is in mid April. We have even had freezes in two of the last three May’s. That’s why I’m starting most of my indoor veggie starts so late (next week), because of this.

Someone closer to my area, like @Hillbillyhort, @BobC, @MikeC could maybe weigh in with their trees’ activities.

1 Like

“Only” 80°F here in NorCal lol

We just had light snow yesterday and night temperature is in upper 20s today. But it will look better I hope

2 Likes

Sunny, but still way below where we should be. GH showed a chilly 42F this morning.

1 Like

I pour some in the tank and then run it through the sprayer. Once I can see the stuff (the RV antifreeze I use is pink) coming out the wand, I know it’s good to go.

1 Like

Thanks

GFs showing snow late week now across NE Iowa/SW and S wi and SE Mn… maybe 1 to 3 inches or something. Get it over with.

1 Like