How is your weather? (Part 1)

Our kids go to a school built in 1950s. I actually think its pretty good shape for that age. They’ve maintained it well…excellent location. Might have a little bit of a prison feel to it, but a lot of parents seem to like it. We do have almost brand new schools here too but i really haven’t been inside…and yes they cost a fortune to build these days (labor costs/material costs)…as does everything (new pickup trucks?)

I think my cauliflower/lettuce might be toast. They are covered in thick sleet snow. I should have covered them with buckets. Oops.

Watch next Thurs…another low in S Iowa…looks very wet. Not as cold as this on. Should be all rain.

Seems like the Willamette valley in western Oregon would be nice, western Washington too. Fairly mild winters to protect fruit buds and pretty dry summers for less pest and fungal issues. . .

I’m going to build a pontoon out of plywood and float down the river…

I like the UK where they have canals that take you all over the country . Maybe i’ll float there :slight_smile:

Euro has a nice freeze day 8-10 for upper midwest…freezing line makes it pretty far south …something to watch.

It’s been thundering here off and on for a few hours. Alternating precip between snow and ice pellets. I have zero idea how much snow we’ve received, with the wind pushing 50 mph at times there’s anywhere from 0 to 8-10" in my driveway. Most businesses are shut down (even bars) or will be shutting down early. A rather crazy storm to watch.

1 Like

Yes! The lightening and thunder snow woke me up this morning, and when i was out and about i watched a tree snap and fall down. Weird, weird storm. The snow/hail stuff thats all over the ground has a yellow brown tone to it. Not sure what that’s about.

2 Likes

Could be dust that blew up in west texas / panhandle. It was WILD out there.

2 Likes

Picture of it from space…center of the low somewhere around SE SD pulling a bunch of warm air northward to the east…70Fs/80Fs in Ohio Valley… big high pressure over Hudson Bay feeding in that cold air to make the snow monster. St Louis, MO sitting at 79F… i live too far up the Mississippi.

3 Likes

4 Likes

wicked looking storm!

NWS is still saying 5-9" more, but I am kind of doubting it. I saw some pics from parts of South Dakota and it was crazy. 5-6’drifts after having bare ground a day or two ago. I hope those folks come through this storm ok

Just got in from plowing/snowblowing. I’m guessing we got right around 8-10". Tough to say for sure with all the drifting from yesterday. It’s still snowing, but accumulating snow should be done shortly (I hope). The stuff is as heavy as lead. Township hasn’t plowed and I doubt they will. Come on melting temps and sunshine

That wind coming off of South Texas kicked up a bunch of dust and dropped it in the rain that fell here. Thursday's rain was dirty - why?

It sure made a mess of our cars, but worse is the mess it made of the windows on our house with the wind.

1 Like

They are report 6 to 7 inches here but it sure doesn’t seem that much, but it did compact like crazy and rain fell on top of it. This snow cover isn’t going anywhere without some sun or warmer temps.

upper 30Fs today… maybe get back into some warm temps Mon-Weds… hopefully 60F or better at least 1 or 2 of those days.

Rain late next week…hopefully after that then we get back some real warmth…

Watch this thing flip in May and it is summer…

1 Like

Argh. Right now there is another 1.5" in our forecast here for next Wed/Thurs next week.

I’ve got trees coming! It needs to dry out some so I can plant them! Plus I have the other half in the pots or need to be transplanted from another location.

I sure did have more time to plant these trees the first time I put in an orchard at our previous house. That was with 0 kids…

That’s what happened last year, right from winter to summer, no spring.

That’s not all bad. Spring is when most people get froze out.

1 Like

I did planting today [not fruit trees] to get them in the ground before the rain supposed to come next week

You’re right, that’s the one silver lining to a late winter and cold rotten spring.

Not good if you want to grow cauliflower/lettuce/etc… it all bolts and turns to crap after spending months babying it along… but that is what will happen. I can almost taste the bitter lettuce now.

We bloom so late here it rarely even is a big deal with apples/pears/etc… its more apricots and any other really early bloomers. Looking at it now…i doubt we bloom anything until after the 20th of April…maybe the 25th…

36F and raining and super windy.

1 Like

24th thru 29th was brutal for May… lots of AC that month…

may2018