How is your weather? (Part 1)

Snowed here heavily earlier but nothing stuck… Saying 29F here…i’ve got stuff covered…not worried about blooming trees. Should clear out this evening.

The snow is still coming down hard and really starting to stick.

Not sticking here, still just above the freezing point

1 Like

Katie at least you have the humor for a snowman. It will be in the high forties here tonight and that feels bad enough. I can’t stand the thought of little fruit.

1 Like

@mrsg47 My middle child made it and I’m glad she did! It snapped me out of a poor mood due to snow. :blush: the snowman is still there but the rest of the yard is snow free and there isn’t anymore coming down, which I’m glad to report!

I’m sure the plants will be fine- the lowest temp tonight is supposed to be 30 now, which is up from 24. I will surely take it.

3 Likes

SMH. Wow, snow! It’s almost frickin MAY!! :snowman::snowman::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

The snow is pretty much wrapped up here. Currently a little more than 2 inches of accumulation on the deck but it was melting as it hit the ground for much of the day. All told I bet we got 5+ inches total.

Luckily most places changed the predicted low tonight from 24-25 to 27-28 so I’m less worried about my apples.

We have 2~3 inches on the ground now.temporary is around 33ish . Does anyone know the snow and low temperature this time of the year might help control insects? I would think the plum curc, coding moth, stink bugs are all out of dormant in active state.

The stink bugs are definitely out of dormancy, or at least some of them are, seen one or two the past couple of weeks. They should take a hit. I’m hoping the peach borers are on that list too. I’ve had it with them.

The boxelder bugs can also hopefully have a light year.

We had 2 inches of snow first Saturday in May (KENTUCKY DERBY) in 1991…so it’s not reaching near that. Which is good

If we had over 3 inches, which it looks like, that would be the record here.

Record low is 29, but I don’t think we got below 30

Stuff is starting to melt, so I’ll be out soon surveying for damage

Some 20Fs across the snowcovered area–although that snow probably helped a lot of plants stay protected.

Wet few days coming up…at least mon-Weds… GFS amts of rain thru thurs…

Just looking at that…the river is going to stay flood stage along the Mississippi for another couple of weeks. Amazing how long the river has been elevated here now. Usually we crest and go down.

3 Likes

We had a cold front move into NC that ended up bringing really crazy winds. Scary crazy. I had an extremely tall branch/scaffold of a large maple get taken down, and it fell on two rows of my orchard!

But it didn’t even knock off a graft :slight_smile: :slight_smile: It definitely thinned my peaches on one scaffold, but I’ll take it.

I’ll need to borrow a chainsaw to be able to mow those rows. Crazy wind!

1 Like

So sorry, that is horrible~!

1 Like

As soon as it’s warm enough to plant, it’s too wet to plant

We’re thrilled that it didn’t hurt anything! People had trees hit their houses yet again, tho thankfully none in our neighborhood this time.

All my landscaping trees grow pushed to one side due to our normal winds, so I guess we are just especially windy even before factoring in hurricanes, lol.

1 Like

Strong winds are the worst! I always lay in bed and wonder what is being tossed around.

2 Likes

We’ve had highs in the low 70s, now we’re headed for lows in the 30s

Winter storm warning out, 6-12" of snow Monday with more on Tues and Wed. Got my potatoes in the ground today ahead of this, and going to park the truck at the bottom of the drive, just in case…

1 Like

Rain

Then more rain

So much for spraying for apple scab

1 Like