How is your weather? (Part 1)

Kinda chilly last nite -the heater on the sunporch kicked on - I have it set at 40.

The lemons and limes are ripe now, I should pick them.

Fairbanks, AKā€¦ HIGH temp Fri -26F ā€¦Sat -27F ā€¦Sun -25Fā€¦ yikes.although nothing out of the norm up thereā€¦

2 Likes

1 Like

Allegedly in the mid 30s for highs tomorrow and Sunday. Darn near shorts weather

3 Likes

-33F right now in Fairbanksā€¦ I got 39F hereā€¦ They can keep it for the rest of the winter :slight_smile: Had a little sunshine earlier but mostly clouds now. Looks mild right thru the first week of Janā€¦

1 Like

:rofl::rofl:
I remember those days when I lived back east!
Now, under 50Ā° I shiver uncontrollably.

1 Like

50, sunny, no wind, and Iā€™d be sweating big time while I worked outside right now. A person adapts I guess

2 Likes

I was outside with no jacket today. It all depends on if you are sitting or moving on top of if there is sun and windā€¦ . I was sweating when we went out ice fishing when it was below 0Fā€¦we had to walk about a mile to get out there and in big winter bootsā€¦its a hike.

Very dry and very mild holiday this yearā€¦iā€™ll take it.

Iā€™ve noticed a lot of outdoor Youtube guys who camp in all 4 seasons prefer winter ā€¦none of them seem to like summer for camping. I donā€™t mind summer because i run the AC nonstopā€¦but if i had no AC iā€™d probably hate summer.

64Ā° for yesterdayā€™s high. Interesting footnote - our winter lows to this point have only bottomed briefly to 31Ā°. On the west coast, our coldest time of the year historically is within 2 weeks of the solstice. The next 10 day forecast is showing no real strong cool downs. So, in theory a 10A winter is still within reach! :sunglasses::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Edit: keeping in the ā€œgrowing fruitā€ spirit - the bananas still have full green leaves with no frost burn, and the habaneros are still hanging on. And finally, strawberries are still putting out about ā€œoneā€ berry a week lol.

1 Like

Is this our January Thaw?

1 Like

45f today and 50F tomorrowā€¦ Iā€™m going to wash the carā€¦ Be interesting to see if we lose are snow cover with 5 days straight of 40F or betterā€¦ Tough to do with such short days and low sun angleā€¦ maybeā€¦

1 Like

only about 4-6in. left from all the snow we got in nov. till mid dec. been dry and sunny with below average temps but no severe -0f cold recently.

We were down in southern MN yesterday. Car thermometer said 45 there. 34 was the high here. Thereā€™s barely any snow down around Owatonna, maybe 4-5". We still have 15"+ on the ground. Iā€™m sure up by Ely theyā€™d figure my temp and snow level would be nothing. Funny the difference 3 hours north or south can make.

2 Likes

same here. Bangor is 3 hrs south of me. some years they have nothing and weā€™re buried. sometimes its the other way around. this year we are the only ones with snow left and it isnā€™t much. hope we get some more before the real cold hits us or i may see some cold damage on my bushes that arenā€™t that hardy like my goumi. deep snow is the only reason i can push my zones with some things.

1 Like

Some people we are dog watching for are up in Duluthā€¦lots of snow on the ground there (had pics yesterday).

The streets are all wet here todayā€¦almost like it rained but its sunny warm and windyā€¦frost must be coming back out of the ground. About a million guys out ice fishing when i crossed the channel of the river near my house.

Took my house plants outside today and sprayed them with the hose. A few of them were very dry. Forget how much evaporation takes place inside during the winter in this bone dry air.

1 Like

Duluth got nailed big time a few weeks ago. Wind was pushing rocks bigger than basketballs up on shore. I think they got close to 2ā€™ of snow in that storm, we got around 14"

1 Like

Our coldest avg are a month off the solsticeā€¦same in the summerā€¦so Jan 20th you can usually expect on avg the coldest temps of the yearā€¦same with mid/late July.

Washed the car in a tshirtā€¦ on the solsticeā€¦ its funny there is a plumeria sitting outside next to a frozen bucket of iceā€¦sunning. I always like to let my plants get a little fresh air in winter. Iā€™m sure weā€™ll pay for this warmth.

2 Likes

Jinxed us, you did!!

lows 30ā€™s and misting today. went ice fishing. got 12 doz. rainbow smelt and 4 splake. 14in. of ice. pickups driving everywhere. felt good to be out. my buddy got his deer so we had backstraps and fried potatoes for lunch.

5 Likes

Making Maine sound good there!

2 Likes