How is your weather? (Part 1)

Those were always my favorite cuts of a whitetail. Just can’t overcook them. Have no idea what a rainbow smelt is? Like a trout? My favorite has always been sunfish and then probably walleye. I’m sure there are about 10,000,000 guys out on the lake today/tomorrow. Low 40Fs… overcast… We should rack up 7 days of 40F+ temps … snow is more or less gone around here except for little piles.

Interesting…the GFS shows about an inch and a half of liquid next Sat/Sun… something to watch.

1 Like

rainbow smelt is the primary bait fish in our lakes. they are also one of the most beautiful. they run in schools numbering in the thousands! they average about 6in. rolled in flour and fried till crispy in butter will put most panfish to shame. very sweet rich flavor. one of the highest in omegas of all fish. they are one of the reasons salmon are so healthy eating. they are their primary forage. there are landlocked and searun smelts. we jig them on the same gear we jig panfish. chartreuse swedish hali jigs work best. they are the reason for the shanty towns on our lakes around here. limit is 2qts. per person. not unusual to hook into a salmon while fishing for them. my wife got a nice 4lber in my shack last new years day. didn’t think we would be able to land it on that u.light rod! we fried it up right in the shack!

1 Like

rain and more rain = flooding on some areas in PNW

Ouch. I hope everyone is ok.

From The Weather Channel Android App: Strong Earthquake Strikes Colombia; Buildings Shake in Bogota | The Weather Channel - Articles from The Weather Channel | weather.com

1 Like

Mmmm! Breaded smelt and beer = grease and carbs. That’s nutrition! Buy a platter at your favorite country tavern. Keeps you going until Ground Hog Day when you have to start hitting the sassafras root to thin your blood for Spring.

1 Like

no beer. just good fresh eating. barely any carbs as we are using very little flour. do your science. smelts are more healthy than even fresh salmon! don’t need to live in a city to eat good. jealous?

2 Likes

Never had that…i like smoked salmon. I’ve had trout (rainbow/brown/brook)… they are ok…nothing i’d eat everyday. I tried lake trout out of L Superior…thought it was really oily. Halibut, tuna, cod, mahi mahi… all good.

I know guys who will eat catfish out of the river…nope… i rarely eat anything out of this river --they do dump the sewage into the Mississippi up and down the river…most of it treated, but i’ll pass.

only 41F here…thought we’d get warmer… clouds again. 69F in St Louis…lots of warmth to the south…like spring down there.

1 Like

At 67 degrees, first day I’ve just had one t-shirt on while outdoors since first three days of OCTOBER!

Reminds me of 1966 or 1967 …. I was pre-teen…and recall my mom killing a copperhead crossing the sidewalk the day after Christmas.

1 Like

smaller lake trout are really good. even better than the native salmon. they get oily over 4lbs. i throw back the breeders and keep a few smalll ones. i do prefer seafood. fresh day old scallops fried lightly with a little butter, salt/ pepper is one of my faves.

Drove to southcentral WI today. Somewhere on I94 right around New Lisbon the snow pretty much disappeared. Down here in Dane County it was darn near 50 today. Barely any ice on sloughs/potholes.

1 Like

Yeah the snow is basically gone here. We took a walk thru the park…even the Mississippi River is wide open again… You could have taken a boat out there.

The bigger story is this weekend. The GFS is now showing 2 inches of rain here Sat/Sun…omg… late Dec flood storm? I hope the ground is thawed enough to take this precip. Just a perfect way to end a soggy wet year.

1 Like

Wunderground has my location at home getting nearly 10" of snow Saturday/Sunday.

The WI River around Portage isn’t wide open, but a few more days with temps like they’ve had down here and it probably will be. It’s almost a different world this far south.

I drove through Portage in 1994, and bought some bee supplies at a place called Lapp’s.
Nice countryside in October.

1 Like

Phoenix, Az and Milwaukee, WI… same high temp today :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Patchy snow left here. Sunny and 30 today. Mixed mess headed for us tonight and tomorrow. 40 predicted on Saturday…plan on getting out in the apple orchard to start pruning.

1 Like

Forecast now calling for 8-16" Saturday/Sunday.

1 Like

48F and raining right now in Phoenix… Some ugly weather in the desert southwest the past few days.

Should get to about 40F here…sun has broken out so that helps.

2 chunks of precip…the 1st chunk is mid/late Sat is all rain and pretty heavy… the 2nd chunk now looks like its learning towards more snow locally…something to watch. Maybe 1 to 3 inches…

Sunday could hit 50F.

Got up this morn to find the temp at 55. That’s just wrong!

2 Likes

My temperature is 59 and it rained 2" over night. Just east of Memphis.

1 Like

Poppies and Pansies planted this weekend. December? Who knows?

5 Likes