How is your weather? (Part 1)

Had to hold off on pruning due to the negative temps…next week looks good though.

1 Like

yeah. its supposed to rebound by mid week.

1 Like

Eleven below in western Wisconsin just now at midnight.

2 Likes

Next week is in the 50s. Early Spring this year?

2 Likes

-16F… South winds are already blowing… should warm quickly but another cold shot late next week again weds/thurs…after that we should be done with cold for…who knows…could be about it for subzero temps.

1 Like

I know a guy north and east of you. He had -32 on his vehicle thermometer this morning.

2 Likes

Sparta was -28f and Black River Falls was -34F… so some really cold air.

Looks like the winner is Cataract, WI… that is just south of Black River Falls… with -35F… i drive thru there in the summer…surrounded by hills so i’m sure that cold just settles in.

2 Likes

America you take the win for cold this year!
Southern Ontario’s first time in the 19/20 season with temps now down to 0 F feeling like -4 F.
Somehow the greenhouse is 50F at 10 AM

3 Likes

Higher sun angle. Had this been early Jan you’d be lucky to be seeing 30°. (Unless you’re heated)

1 Like

High of 86. Low of 66. It’s mildly hot but feels pleasant, overall.

1 Like

Made it to 13F

After next weeks cold weds-fri… that might be about it for the cold stuff.

2 Likes

Please, yes yes yes!!

1 Like

Good. That’s an optimistic note.

But right now it’s 14 here…and that is the lowest since early in 2019 here.
Forecast was for 19.

Normal low is zero to 5 below zero each winter.

Some new apple tree leaves ,(under 3/4 inch) …probably will get blackened…unless they are tougher than I would think.

One more tumble into upper teens late next week in the forecast. After that…who knows, if we’ll have winter in March since we didn’t have much in January.

*And…I got all apple trees on M111 rootstocks put in where warm or moved to larger container…past three winters lost several trees on M111 on late-season freezes in containers. (Of course, it’s the Budagovsky and crab apple roots that have the leaves for the most part). I’ll be optimistic that it works this time and none are killed because they have broken dormancy in pots.

1 Like

Winds blew hard here all night …up to 20F now…

The cold next week is just a repeat of what just happened…A piece of the cold will break away from the Yukon and dive southeast across Canada down into the plains/midwest/lakes into the southeast… we’ll go from 30Fs right down to the negative teens …

You can see the very negative anomalies moving across the south and southeast next friday quickly replaced by a much warmer airmass… next shot of chill after that one looks aimed at California/southwest.

That should be it for subzeros for the year around my yard. Rest of Feb looks mild…and subzero in March is rare…especially after the first week.

Maybe we’ll get a repeat of March 2012 when summer shows up months early.

2 Likes

I remember that well. Wearing shorts and t shirts on St. Paddy’s day and getting sunburned. While that was pleasant, I’d just as soon have a normal (cold, late) spring.

1 Like

I’ll have ot dig some and see what the spring outlook looks like…i highly doubt any prolonged heatwave.

I do remember that March to the following fall…we had like 8 months of warmth…i was ready for cooler weather after that.

201203-2012031

3 Likes

That was the year I had lilacs reblooming in late August/early September. It was a weird year for sure.

Most of the area was 16F above avg for the month…

Looks like some very strong winds over the Atlantic… anyone heading to Europe on an airplane is going to make excellent time.

More snow on the way…

Sitting at about 33.5 inches of snow for the winter… so slowly making it to our seasonal avg. of 43 inches…

Cold looks to move in Tues now and out of here Thurs…

1 Like

Nothing near your cold warmwx… But… Still a cool snap for us and will need the heater a bit at night…

1 Like