How is your weather? (Part 1)

The long term global affect would be warming, although I doubt it would have much affect on temps this winter.

Neil Lareau, a professor at the University of Nevada, shared a link to a 1991 study in the Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres showing that biomass fires can significantly reduce daytime surface temperatures by 1.5° to 7°C under the smoke. More recently, a 2014 study found that wildfires in Russia reduced the amount of incoming solar radiation at the ground over much of Eastern Europe because of the smoke plume. This also resulted in cooler temperatures. A 2019 study in Canada found similar results as well as a reduction in exchanges in heat and moisture between the surface and the atmosphere (fluxes). These studies also remind us of an important and basic meteorological fact. The smoke and haze causes cooling at the surface

1 Like

Snow blew through just south of me around noon…(Flurries actually)….and at 11 p.m. is now snowing at Wilmington, and maybe on Myrtle Beach. ?

Added at 6 a.m. it is now 17. So much for plans for today.

(Next week looks just as dismal…rain…then below freezing balance of week.)
Feb. is definitely colder than January.

1 Like

Forecast was a low of 30. It always seems to be a few degrees lower than my local forecast on my property. I guess I won’t have to manually thin out my early blooming pears(Southern Bartlett and Meadows)! 27F and still dropping.

1 Like

cold rainy and raw before we start to warm up by Sunday…you can see a 17 degree drop between today and yesterday…

1 Like

3 out of the next 10 days have highs above freezing. I guess that’s better than none

3 Likes

Winds are blowing hard out of the south…temp has climbed 32F from 5F earlier… Should be near 40F today…mid 40Fs this weekend… Hopefully we get the melt going strong. Get rid of some of this snowpack.

1 Like

I was in panic mode 3 weeks ago when half the plums were starting to bud out. Somehow the wild plum genes won and they have not yet flowered. I think I should at least get a few edible hybrid plums this year. Spring seems to be here. We only had two weeks of Winter. It is probably time to stock the bird feeders. Several dogwoods in my neighborhood are in full bloom, and I saw a few redbuds starting to flower yesterday.

Leap day looks very cold for the east half of the country… Piece of the polar vortex looks to get pulled down over the area… should drop some chill deep into the south…

4 Likes

It’s looking like lows in the mid-high 40’s later this week in my location.

Brrrr :snowman:

Rare frost here

5 Likes

Man, it was sunny and 38 here yesterday. I could have snowshoed in shorts :grinning:

3 Likes

next 3 days are going to be in the 30’s. 40f mon. !

1 Like

That landscape looks so serene.

You definitely have my respect. I wish that I could say the same :slight_smile:

1 Like

Low 30Fs… slowly creeping up… Noticed about a million guys out ice fishing this morning when i drove past the river/lake… Better melt off what we can this weekend because more is on the way according ot the last 2 runs of the GFS…yuck…

2 Likes

Ice fishing sounds enjoyable, tbh. I’m pretty sure it’s not too bad if you’re bundled up well.

1 Like

You may already know this but North Florida is very different from South Florida. I’m almost in Georgia… This is out in timber land. Serene is a very good description…

3 Likes

This time of year can be a lot of fun…on these sunny mild days… With thick ice (because of last weeks subzero temps)…you can go about anywhere. An ATV would be a lot of fun. Could probably drive for miles and miles…some spots can get a little iffy but stay close to the shore and out of the strong current and you shouldn’t die… Have no idea what they are fishing for…but my guess would be perch/crappie or walleye or a mix.

2 Likes

got a 18’ kawasaki terex 800 utv 2 summers ago. some years in early season, like this year, there isn’t much snow but plenty of ice. i used it thru most of jan. a lot more fun than a sled and the dump in the back holds all my gear. solid windshield blocks most of the wind. a lot more comfortable riding and the dog has his own seat. he barks at the auger when i start drilling.