How is your weather? (Part 1)

Light rain and 34. Supposed to turn to light snow at some point. Still no signs of early spring around here.

2 Likes

Mid 60’s here today, chance or hail, strong winds and tornadoes tonight. May hit 70 next week, with rain every day in the forecast. South Central Kentucky.

We had a pretty steady rain this morning…almost half inch…Good for cleaning the salt off the roads…currently 49F… mild

More sun and 40Fs.maybe some 50Fs to come… not a bad deal for March.

80 degrees and dry with a slight breeze. Very sunny. But we are getting some good rain this weekend it looks like :raised_hands:t2:

Just now heard first thunder…and it looks like a wild night in Kentucky…hail or tornadoes a possibility.

Chilly day but sunny… Soil temp in my garden bed was reading 45F… i need to get some plastic up over my hoops…try to raise that more.

I was watching Only in Japan on YT… . the cherry blossoms have started blooming in Tokyo… They’ve had a very mild winter there…

Next weather to watch is next Thurs?Fri… very wet system heads towards us…over an inch of liquid on GFS… as of now…warm enough to all fall as rain…

Omaha got 2-4 inches of snow and headed your way today.

1 Like

we got another 8in. of heavy wet snow yesterday. more coming tues. in a very active pattern. wish it was rain instead.

1 Like

@tonyOmahaz5
Does this snow negatively affect your fruit trees?

My concern will be on Sun night/Mon early morning. It predicts low at 22 F. If true, it won’t be good.

1 Like

All buds are swelling at the moment and nothing open yet. It shout be ok.

My Flavor bombs super sweet vine cherry tomatoes are in great shape.

4 Likes

The couple just north of Anchorage that have the Youtube channel had just about 2 feet of snow from their last storm…and a lot more on the ground. They had bee hives that didn’t make it …she said they were alive in Jan but died soon after//not sure why…i guess bee hives do survive up there but they haven’t figured out the secret yet.

Precip staying south of this area…just clouds and low 40Fs today.

1 Like

I have 3 or 4 apple trees with leaves an inch long…mostly red fleshed apples. Others just bud swell.
And a few, such as Wolf River, not even bud swell. But, I think we will stay above 30 at least this weekend and following week here in KY. (Now, it may freeze in April, who knows, or snow for the KY Derby in May like it did in 1991.)

My honeyberries in containers did NOT freeze or appear to be much damaged (just a little discolored) with the 14 or 15 degree night a couple weeks back…and they were leafed out. I have a couple plants at another location that may bloom, but these one gallon ones probably not this year.

honey bees don’t survive here without protection as well. they probably suffocated if the snow buried them completely.

Canadian provinces of Manitoba and Alberta produce more honey than US states just a few hundred miles south of them…so it’s a fact somebody manages to get bees through a 6 month long winter north of the 49th parallel.

1 Like

The folks who put bees on my place in central MN truck their bees to California for the winter. Usually around late October/early November they pick up the hives. California almond growers pay them to bring the bees there. Usually sometime around Memorial Day the bees show back up here.

3 Likes

they don’t get the deep snow , like we get here. when the snow covers the hive they suffocate. the few people that over winter them here put them in a unheated shed in the winter.

2 Likes

You must have great eyesight.

I’ve been watching the boys and girls (robin, I mean) playing hide and seek for several days, at least one pair “got married” and were working on a nest.

1 Like

A welcomed cold wet week ahead, after almost our driest rainless streak on record.

1 Like

Interesting… looking at the amount of snow on the ground that is probably what happened to them. I’ve never raised bees but know people who do. I think the best honey i’ve had is the Aldis stuff that comes from Brazil.

A screen grab from the video…purple things are the hives…

3 Likes