How is your weather? (Part 1)

Confirmation of vole damage would require excavating the rootstock. I don’t want to do that because, as it happens, the tree is starting to leaf out now. I’ve not seen such a thing with this tree or any others. The blossoms were tiny and late but came on long before any leaf buds broke. I’m thinking now that the tree didn’t accumulate chilling hours properly, but that’s peculiar. Can trees get too cold too quickly?

Does the thunder have a French accent??

4 Likes

Actually it is very loud and always close by or over head. Sounds like gigantic dragons stomping through the town.

2 Likes

temps predicted to hit 95f today. supposed to break the old record of 90f going back to 1958. these temps are rarely seen here esp. in june. like you southern folks hunker in place during a snowstorm, we do the same here when it goes over 85f. glad i bought a new A/C last summer. its earning its keep this week. looks like we’re in for a hot dry summer. if its started off like this it most likely will get hotter and drier if thats even possible. sadly, many poor people can’t afford A/C here. when i was young we used to spend the hot days in the lake at my grandparents camp. great memories made there.

2 Likes

The wind hasn’t helped that. It has dried it out good up here. Last good rain was with that tropical depression…since then its been sun sun and wind with temps mainly in the 80Fs. Should get humid today and 90F… Rain off to the west but i doubt that gets in here until tonite/tomorrow. Best shot of good rain is Monday.

I have found zero brown rot on my sweet cherries (Lapins) …which is a first. i don’t spray them. The birds have taken 50% or more them. I need to cover my blueberries which are rapidly sizing up. Black raspberries have started turning red…i need to spray those for swd.

1 Like

well its 93 right now so we broke the record by 3 deg. supposed to hit 95 tom and no wind! ouch! my honey berries and rhubarb aren’t liking it but holding up. i gave everything a good soak last night.

We hit 85.5F today, I spent most of the day in the nursery bed weeding the oldest section. While I was weeding I was watering the rows of new grafts. Ended up hauling 400 gallons of water and getting just 2.5 rows watered. Since 6/1 we’ve had 3/4" of rain and we were 2" short for the month of May. Hope we have some rain coming soon. Getting tired of watering the gardens daily and still not keeping up.

1 Like

Haven’t ever hear dragons in town…but sounds intriguing.

1 Like

They’re around!

2 Likes

i feel your pain Andy!

We had a 20 minute shower last week…before that it had been weeks since we had rain…this is our 2 week forecast.

2 Likes

Yep, that’s what I’m looking at too.

1 Like

we got 3/4 of a in. that same day. but nothing for a month before or since. the humidity has been in the upper 20 to low 30’s which is extremely dry for summer. supposed to be chances of showers all next week but only 20-30%. time to do a rain dance! pretty bad when were 15 deg hotter than miami!

1 Like

Pretty similar here…only Sunday to be above seasonal average in our 14 day forecast…raining right now and thunder around 4 p.m. yesterday. Rain chances up to 50 or 60 here several days.in the 14 day forecast.

1 Like

Wow…lots and lots of watering? Are you on an well? Watering does get old…i have about 40 potted plants that i’m watering daily.

We had 2 inches of rain on the 9th and its been not a drop since. It has really dried around here…Lots of chances of rain so we’ll see if we can’t get at least one good soaker in the next few days.

Blackville, New Brunswick is 103 right now! (it’s “only” 91 in Phoenix :joy:)

2 Likes

thats nuts! 92f right now with no wind. my poor chickens are all sprawled out panting.i feel for those folks that don’t have A/C.

2 Likes

Same here… 90 (feels like 100) in Qc… And it’s gonna be like that for another week, at least. Horrible. (I have to say I am 37 weeks pregnant and 40 pounds extra, so… it may affect my appreciation of the weather… lol).

5 Likes

i feel for you. stay cool. hopefully your man gets
you lots of watermelon. :wink:

1 Like

Hahaha! I’ll make sure to tell him your recommandation :laughing:

1 Like