How is your weather?

We never got the wind here, but just south of us had power outages.

Very dreary here…heavy cloud cover and now rain…temp at 52F but will not go anywhere today.

Snowing right now in the Black Hills (South Dakota).

Deadwood, SD (8:15am)

Denver reported snow last ob

Think i found the winner for temp change… Some areas of the Black Hills had a foot of snow.

Up to 20 inches of snow in S Colorado. Records being smashed across New Mexico today (cold high temps). Denver had 2nd earliest snowfall.

In a week this will all be a distant memory.

My aunt said her sweet corn was just about ready to pick. She lives in NM. image

We had an extremely heavy acorn drop this year. I’ve been at this place since 02 and this is the third time it’s happened, the other 2 times we got below -30F for lows. One of the winters was the infamous polar vortex, 2013 I think? Anyway, could be a long brutal winter for the upper midwest :frowning:

In normal years, the sound of dropping acorns is a continual clatter. Not this year.

Klondike, no acorns

Blockquote

here this year, and we aren’t very far from you. I wonder why? I think it was drier up your way. Our last heavy acorn year was 2018, if I recall right.

Mid 80’s daytime, low 60’s at night…not a bad September in Kentucky at all.

47F and raining here. Been raining now for what seems like the last 48 hrs (on and off)… rain gauge shows about 1.5 inches. Should be about done though but heavy rain looking likely fri nite/sat as warm air comes back in. Temps have been basically stuck with all the clouds and rain. Free AC :slight_smile:

The squirrels strip my oak trees of all their acorns …they were mostly gone by late August. The nuts don’t even get a chance to drop. I’ve got about the only oak trees (white oaks) in this area so they really draw the tree rats in. I looked out the window yesterday and there was a big squirrel about a foot from the window eating a pear…just looked at me and kept eating…it was raining so he had his tail up over his head.

Oaks here are the next-door neighbors. White oaks, too. Huge things. One of them dropsacrons on the roof of their house - makes quite a racket - except for this year.

What I wonder is whether things will go back more or less to normal next year or will the level of pest activity continue in normal weather.

If we ever get any normal weather again.

This whole area at one time would have been mostly oak, but i’ve noticed that people don’t really plant them. The more mature trees (probably planted in the early 50s) seem to have been mostly maples and ash, but those have been for the most part removed the past decade or so (either storms/too big or with ash they all just died).

I think the new normal is just crazy temp swings–i have idea about precip…probably stays on the wet side of things overall up here.

47F still…rain all morning. Weird…it is all green again. The dead brown grass really came back fast.

I’ve been using a Govee weather station (bluetooth/phone app)…really liking it because it stores data…cheap too. I’ve got to rename it…its actually outside (north side of house/shade).

I know this is almost 10 days out, but looks like a pretty cold air will come into the northeast. GFS has the freezing line drop down into NY/Massachusetts. Looks like this would be the 3rd cold shot (one now/then another and then this coldest one).

@NHC_Atlantic

NHC will initiate advisories on the area of low pressure area east of Florida at 5 PM EDT (2100 UTC).

9:19 PM · Sep 11, 2020

Models don’t really show anything developing… one hurricane does form out in the Atlantic but it does a u turn around Bermuda. Another forms but is a fish storm. With all this cold Canadian high pressure dumping into the US the next 2 weeks…not much has a chance of making landfall.

Yes models didn’t saw it… but it’s here. TS in near time and now models see a hurricane landfall on GOM in 96h…

@SammyHadiWx

Tropical Depression #19 has formed to the northwest of Andros Island in the Bahamas. Tropical Storm Watches or Warnings will likely be issued for portions of Southeast Florida and the Upper Florida Keys shortly.

TROPICAL DEPRESSION NINETEEN FORECAST/ADVISORY NUMBER 1
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL192020
2100 UTC FRI SEP 11 2020

CHANGES IN WATCHES AND WARNINGS WITH THIS ADVISORY…

A TROPICAL STORM WATCH HAS BEEN ISSUED FOR THE COAST OF
SOUTHEASTERN FLORIDA FROM SOUTH OF JUPITER INLET TO NORTH OF OCEAN
REEF.