How is your weather? (Part 1)

Oaks here are the next-door neighbors. White oaks, too. Huge things. One of them dropsacrons on the roof of their house - makes quite a racket - except for this year.

What I wonder is whether things will go back more or less to normal next year or will the level of pest activity continue in normal weather.

If we ever get any normal weather again.

This whole area at one time would have been mostly oak, but i’ve noticed that people don’t really plant them. The more mature trees (probably planted in the early 50s) seem to have been mostly maples and ash, but those have been for the most part removed the past decade or so (either storms/too big or with ash they all just died).

I think the new normal is just crazy temp swings–i have idea about precip…probably stays on the wet side of things overall up here.

47F still…rain all morning. Weird…it is all green again. The dead brown grass really came back fast.

I’ve been using a Govee weather station (bluetooth/phone app)…really liking it because it stores data…cheap too. I’ve got to rename it…its actually outside (north side of house/shade).

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=28&v=rSY4E3om1qg&feature=emb_title

I know this is almost 10 days out, but looks like a pretty cold air will come into the northeast. GFS has the freezing line drop down into NY/Massachusetts. Looks like this would be the 3rd cold shot (one now/then another and then this coldest one).

1 Like

@NHC_Atlantic

NHC will initiate advisories on the area of low pressure area east of Florida at 5 PM EDT (2100 UTC).

9:19 PM · Sep 11, 2020

Models don’t really show anything developing… one hurricane does form out in the Atlantic but it does a u turn around Bermuda. Another forms but is a fish storm. With all this cold Canadian high pressure dumping into the US the next 2 weeks…not much has a chance of making landfall.

Yes models didn’t saw it… but it’s here. TS in near time and now models see a hurricane landfall on GOM in 96h…

1 Like

@SammyHadiWx

Tropical Depression #19 has formed to the northwest of Andros Island in the Bahamas. Tropical Storm Watches or Warnings will likely be issued for portions of Southeast Florida and the Upper Florida Keys shortly.

TROPICAL DEPRESSION NINETEEN FORECAST/ADVISORY NUMBER 1
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL192020
2100 UTC FRI SEP 11 2020

CHANGES IN WATCHES AND WARNINGS WITH THIS ADVISORY…

A TROPICAL STORM WATCH HAS BEEN ISSUED FOR THE COAST OF
SOUTHEASTERN FLORIDA FROM SOUTH OF JUPITER INLET TO NORTH OF OCEAN
REEF.

Yeah areas that don’t need rain are getting it. I think the drought is pretty much dead now up here. Raining again now (warm air advection). Should get back to normal/above normal for a few days next week. Stuck in the low 60Fs this afternoon.

1 Like

frost warnings out for tonight.

1 Like

Nothing here yet. Looks like next Monday might be our first real chance of the season.

1 Like

looks like come midweek this week it will freeze several nights also.

TD-19 making landfall in Biscayne Bay as seen here on Key West Radar.

Philippe Papin

·

Sep 12, 2020

Seeing numerous radar velocity bins of 60-75mph very close to #KAMX radar (~100 meters AGL) in the intense band on east of the center of #TD19. Even assuming a significant reduction factor, these radar derived velocities may support upgrading TD19 to a tropical storm.

@bhensonweather

One big concern with #TD19: the potential for days of torrential rain over the central Gulf Coast. Unlike Laura, this looks to be a slow-moving coast hugger. NWS/WPC is already predicting 7-10" over coastal MS/AL/FL, with 10-15+" lurking just offshore. https://wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/day1-7.shtml

@TheSteveCop

#TD19 is moving considerably further south than forecast and is now on the southern edge of the 00z EPS guidance from last night. This could allow the system to have more time to strengthen, which would be quite problematic (as shown by the HWRF)

Is this early for that stuff around you or about normal?

Been stuck around 60F now for the last day. Rain again. Rain gauge showing 2.5 inches total for the last week. Warm air makes a strong return starting later today and then for the next 5 days (around 80F). All my plants are back outside after vacation indoors.

I was reading in Norway their plum harvest was almost a fail this summer because it was so cold/rainy. …down 80% from last year. At least in the last 10 years, they’ve seen nothing this bad.

1 Like

That tropical system into New Orleans will quickly scoot NE and will help pull down a piece of a chunk of a very cold Canadian air over New England.

Yes the problem is the RI that Sally can do on GOM… very bad a few time to prepare…

@RyanMaue

1 h

Very concerned about Tropical Storm Sally blowing up into a powerful hurricane before slowing and tracking toward mouth of Mississippi on Monday. Worst case scenario is a major hurricane and/or 20-30 inches of rain from slow Sally