How is your weather? (Part 1)

For Southern France it is very cold out. About 49 degrees F. Ouch!

1 Like

Today we got 22C! Still a great tempā€¦

The road salt crews got to try out their equipment this morningā€¦from a skiff to about inch and a half in my neck of the woods this morning. (Yesterday got an inch of wet snow that melted quickly as it was above 32 degrees F.)

Sounds about perfect. I suppose winter swimming in the Mediterranean is not a hobby most would encourage?

16F here this morningā€¦with no snow (very dry lately) that is pretty cold. Coldest morning yet. November should end about +6F above normalā€¦ mild month. Mildness should continueā€¦see no cold anywhere down the road. The GFS has ZERO precip the next 2 weeks. Record dry spell? Temps should rebound back into the mid 40Fs. Heat wave.

2 Likes

The grass is growing againā€¦itā€™s loving all this rain. I guesss this is what a Pacific Northwest winter might be like?

5 Likes

Lets just go all winter without any snow. As of yesterday i still had some plants growing right next to the house. They still hadnā€™t been killed off yet. Last night probably did them in.

1 Like

No laying about on the beach today, MrsG!!

1 Like

Maybe Iā€™ll turn on my sunlamp and listen to Bob Marley while drinking a bahama mama. No kidding. Gosh, I love the warm weather and enjoying it outside. I traveled to Cuba back when it wasnt cool to travel there. We came up a fairly steep drive to a rustic building where they were rolling cigars. Bob Marley was blasting out of really tall speakers with armed guards leaning underneath. Scary and surreal, but so wonderful at the same time. I will always remember that feeling that day.

Its supposed to be about 26 tonight, and wind gusts to about 16 MPH. COLDā€¦

Seriously, though, I need some guidance on dealing with late frosts and freezes. Last year I had plums blooming in late February, killed handily by 25 degree weather mid April. (Im 6B) Blooming in February/March is unheard of. I think I wrote down it was 60 degrees around Jan 1. If this keeps up, I want to either go heat or more likely over water in the orchard. Who has had success with the same? I read a bit, and it says depending on the weather and type of freeze, sprinkled water could be bad or good, depending. I can remember my dad turning on the sprinkler in March because he started potatoes so early.

It surely isnā€™t. Its even cold in the Med. in the fall. Strange not seeing snow by Thanksgiving, that was the true mark of the holiday season for me. When you look out of your windows and see the terra-cotta tiles on all of the roof tops you know youā€™re not in RI or NYC. The sun is still strong and even though it is cold out you can feel the heat on your back.

4 Likes

Over 12" of snow on the ground. If the preceding
rain had been snow, yikes!

3 Likes

we just finished a 48hr streak of over 50f! no snow left. had over a ft. before this happened. no more drought for sure. the st. john river is at spring level and not all the rain has made it downriver yet. we had nearly 3in. of rain in the last 3 days. if that was snow it would have been nearly 3ft!

6 Likes

We still have snow anywhere the sun isnā€™t reaching the snow.
Lexington KY seemed to have half inch moreā€¦and Iā€™m guessing in Tennessee they only got a dusting except on mountaintops.

Wow! Grew up East of Cleve. It always snowed at Thanksgiving. It was like clockwork!

We had some fab fall weather this November, high 60ā€™s, sun and no bugs. Gave me the push to do the garden clean up and prep I was putting off.

1 Like

Just got our first real snow of the season. We ended up getting about 8 inches yesterday in Western PA. We had a dusting a few weeks ago but that wasnā€™t anything to get excited about.

Same here, @Anne. Took advantage of the beautiful days and help offered from my sons. ā€œMom, you arent getting any youngerā€¦ā€. ā€œNo, but Im not dead yet. Let me do it with you.ā€

1 Like

Tornado and hail in December!? :dizzy_face:

2 Likes

A few cold nights here in Southern Ontario. iIt was down to -7C! last two days have been nice and sunny. Just slightly above freezing.

Greenhouse hit 20C today which is rare for December.

4 Likes

Nice. Iā€™m trying to overwinter plants in my basement but even with grow lights, its just too cool down there. Iā€™m going to move everything back upstairs.

Hit 52F yesterday. No snow in weeks. Extended shows nothing. Pretty much dry thru the end of Decemberā€¦mild continuesā€“lots of 30fs and maybe 40Fs. Still no single digits (i think our lowest so far is around 16F). This has got to be one of the driest stretches i can remember.

@warmwxrules, I see you are in 4. Where is your location? We had a couple of cold nights in the 20s recently in 6B.