How is your weather? (Part 1)

Well, I can recall a few, subdood…like I think it was Dec 25, 1986 (or was it 85)…I broke the snow with my old Pontiac…over 8 inches on blacktop country roads…and they had not been plowed. I made the 3 or 4 mile trek to my parents…
and broke the bolts where the exhaust bolts onto the motor of the car…from dragging so much snow up underneath the vehicle!

(I did make it , and later back home.) Love to have another car like that one!!!

Then, there was 1963 I believe…somewhere between six inches and a foot…I didn’t have a sleigh, but rode a shovel over the hills borrowed from the corn crib!

Just a couple I remember…I’m certain there were more. (Somerset, Kentucky).

4 Likes

Just saw the latest forecast (Huntington, WV station), they’re saying 3-6" by Christmas night. I checked the latest GFS models and it’s saying at least 6". Looks like everyone in KY east of I-75 could get about 5-10". Plus it’s going to be in the teens Thu (15) and Fri (12) night, so it’s going to be a cold one.

If it gets to 12 Friday night here, that will make it the coldest temperature of 2020!
13 was the low last winter. I think we’ll stay above 13 here.

Just looked out the window and there’s a smattering of the overnight snow persisting in the shady + grassy areas. Somewhat surprising since yesterday’s high was in the mid-50s and it’s currently 43°F, so I would’ve expected ground temperatures to be high enough to defeat the snow. Definitely don’t envy those of you getting into the teens this week!

2 Likes

Beginning tomorrow night and through Christmas we’re expecting some bitter cold temps…anything below 30 here is brutal…

1 Like

Rain, rain and more rain.Wet Christmas. Ugh!

48F here right now, but that should drop to 5F tonite. I don’t think we get much if any snow either so that isn’t good for ground freezing solid.

GFS drops over 2 feet of snow over parts of Nebraska early next week. Something to watch. Iowa would also get hit pretty good (western parts).

Good day for indoors stuff.

1 Like

Blizzard warning here today. Had a pretty good whiteout for awhile about an hour ago. The snow has eased up now, but the wind is brutal. Gusts over 50 mph. Temp was 30 when I got up this morning, now down to 12 and dropping. Windchills pushing -35 tonight and tomorrow. Merry Christmas

A few gusts near 30 here in my part of KY…and high almost hit 60…
tonight rain arrives…and continues…and most of what we get will be rain, but dropping
below 32 tomorrow afternoon and to 15 Friday and Saturday mornings. Probably enough to make the grass and things white, and farther east in KY will get a good snow. Ditto on into the Appalachians.

Blowing 30-50 mph, about 10F now. Only an inch of snow. Went to bed last night with 3-4" old snow on the ground, 15-20 mph winds, 50F. Got up this morning, snow was gone and temps were dropping.

1 Like

A Southeaster heading for us Christmas Day…heavy winds and rain. Goodbye snow!

Christmas Day high temp forecast:

Albion, ME - 56
Orlando, FL - 53

1 Like

-8 now, the high for the day all the way up to -2.

2 Likes

My thermometer says -13 at the moment. Thank God the wind from yesterday died down otherwise just plain forget about it

4 Likes

My wife side the airport here had 58mph winds. Temp went from 51F down to 6F and i think its dropping still… About an inch or so of snow but it blew everywhere.

You brave souls. That sounds uninhabitable to me! 35°F and foggy here in Seattle this mid-morning, with the sun already pushing through. Heading up to the mid-40s, which is cold enough for me :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

We had a white Christmas Eve morning, but with rain all day and more predicted for overnight, there probably won’t be much white left by tomorrow morning.

Was 52 at midnight, with rain all night, and morning. By 4pm, it has dropped to 30, and has been snowing for about hour now. By the looks of radar, it looks like we’re in for another 3 or 4 hours of this. Supposed to be about 15 overnight, and 19 tomorrow, so we will have our first white Christmas since we moved back here. First one I can remember since perhaps when I was in college about 35 years ago.

2 Likes

27 here and 16 wind chill…looks like we’ll end up with an inch, give or take. Supposed to be over by 6:30 or 7:00.

What’s amazing is it’s apparently white on Lookout Mountain in Chattanooga TN/GA…and snowing at Atlanta airport!

1 Like

Chilly and blustery but nothing extreme and it will pass away starting tomorrow.

1 Like