How long do you wait?

Looked and couldn’t find a thread on this (perhaps I missed it), but how long do y’all typically wait before ripping out a tree and trying something else? Is there a criterion besides no fruit, like bacterial canker (my problem), black knot, or something else? Thinking it’s time to be brutal with the saw.

I created this thread in 2016. I have removed more fruit trees since then.

I get rid of anything that feels like more work than I’m willing to put in. For the most part I just graft problems over to something else, but I’ve ripped out plenty as well. In the end if your not satisfied it’s a waste.

1 Like

@mamuang thanks for the thread, that’s one I missed.

I guess a more specific question is: how many years do you give a healthy semi-dwarf tree - like a plum - that sets no fruit?

2 Likes

I think most J Plums should produce quickly… 1-3 years.
I planted a new AU Rosa J plum this spring and it bloomed and set 100 tiny plums… which soon after got frosted and wiped out… bummer.

Euro Plums can take longer… I have two that are in year 5 this year and getting first blooms on them now.

Does your tree bloom ? do you need a pollinator ?

If it is healthy… but just not producing… consider grafting it over (top working) to change varieties. You could add two or more varieties to it that are known to be good pollination partners.

If it is a J Plum, I am trying AU Rosa and Shiro Combo, and have grafted AU Producer to one branch of my AU Rosa. Next Spring going to graft some Spring Satin Plumcot to one or both of those.

Semi-dwarf is a bit more general. Is the rootstock Marianna 2524 or Myrobalan?

The former takes about 3-4 years, the latter can be 5-8 years. Also, Japanese plums seem to be more precocious than Euro plums.