How much are you willing to pay!

Even though i am retired, i feel corn farmers are running out of time. The time for massive planting of field corn may be ending. One idea is to mix chestnuts and hazelnuts. With a few rows of annual food plantings sise by side.(permaculture etc).
If growers do not start now with seedlings they will fall behind.
Nut crops offer huge upsides for food for people and animals. And carbon reduction

5 Likes

Are you ready to give up corn chips, corn bread, pigs-in-blanket, bourbon, steaks, hanburgers and BBQ, ethanol fuel, corn flakes, fried okra (green tomatoes, poke, mushrooms and all other delicacies rolled in meal)…? Not necessarily in that order.

(I’m not.) (I’ll trade a peck of apples for a skillet of cornbread most any day.)

1 Like

I buy fieldcorn for feeding deer, can almost hand feed these guys, than they try to rob me from stuff I am growing. I live with them in the woods. My garden is fenced in. My deer damaged is almost negligible. Squirrel different story, so are chipmunks.

6 Likes

i agree Don. with the amount of breeding going on for a cold hardy large nut growing hybrid hazel ongoing, soon it could become very profitable to grow hazels. when i finally am able to buy some land , i intend to plant many.

1 Like