How much better Smith/ Cravens.c

All of mine are in 5 to 20 gallons pots and I never prune the roots in the last 6 years. I only pinched the tips at the fifth leaf doesn’t matter how young or old the figs age and continue to do so the next 5th leaf from the last pinched scar until the end of July. I fertilized them with 10-10-10 twice already. I used to give the Urea Nitrogen but I ran out of them until I can get more.

How’s your LSU Tiger? Is it much different from Celeste in flavor? I’ve heard it called “Giant Celeste”.

It is almost like Celeste but a bit tastier and alot larger. It is a keeper for sure. You should also try the Unknown Chios Dark. The size and taste similar to LSU Tiger.

1 Like

I have an LSU gold in the ground, big but flat tasting. Tony, if you are not hungry but see a big ripe fig, what variety make you want to eat it?

I think you would see a very large increase in production by going to a larger pot size, fertilizing heavily and letting the pots root into the ground.

For pot size 15 gal is ideal IMO. Its about the biggest size you can go to before the pots get too heavy and cumbersome to move by yourself. I would get the heavy duty injection molded ones that have a large rim for moving them around, something like this:

For heavy fertilization you should try to get slow release urea or a similar slow release fertilizer like Osmocote.

Lastly, it really helps to let the pots root into the ground during the growing season. For pots like the ones I linked above its really easy because the roots can come out the sides - I just bury the bottom 3" and stop watering once they root themselves into the ground. At the end of the year once the leaves drop I just chop the roots and put them back into storage.

4 Likes

Bob, I would go with Moscatel Preto or Socoro Black. The figs are big and tasty.

2 Likes

Tony, in the old days I bought tons of muscatel grapes from this vendor.
If this fig taste like my old muscatel grape, I got to have that fig, whatever I have to go through.

2 Likes

I am glad you like Moscatel Preto too. Such a unique tasting fig indeed.

1 Like

Andrew, hope I get lucky getting this variety to add as the final one.
Drew, is helping me out, so that’s nice.

1 Like

Bob, Actually thanks to Andrew for trading with me. I got the Moscatel Preto from him 2 years ago. Btw, the figs get a nice dose of fresh grass clippings for some nitrogen plus water conservation. @PharmerDrewee

5 Likes

I will have to trade with you again. I’m starting a stripy fig you might like. Too many figs and too many projects had me plant more in the ground this year so I don’t have so many pots! You probably get more from your potted figs than all the ones I have planted, Tony.

3 Likes

I wish I could trade you with something so I can get one of them as well!

About planting figs in the ground I think it’s a good idea! (In some zones) free maintenance except irrigation on the first year or so while establishing and real state bound, mining that even if they get freeze damage they can always come back from the ground up.

I lost quite a few plants and varieties that they ware in pots this past winter due to root rut or winter freeze. Just a few come back but a lots didn’t make it.