How shade tolerant are Juneberries?

Yes

“Autumn Brilliance” It is an ornamental with very good fruit. Yes, this is a winner.

2 Likes

That’s it. I used to be able to order 2" caliber bare root trees of it from a mid-western nursery for cheap. Trees plugged in without skipping a beat, too.

I have no idea what the name of the nursery was or if they are still in business. If they are I’m sure the price has risen considerably, but it may be useful to know how well they can be planted bare root. Trees that size cost a fortune when they come with a root ball of soil.

Many nurseries sell it, but price is high. Best I saw was Raintree
https://raintreenursery.com/spring/autumn-brillance-serviceberry-spring-d460

This midwestern nursery was a wholesaler and required a purchase of 5 trees per variety, I believe. Look for prices from ornamental nurseries.

Yes look around for sure, The raintree plant is very small, why so cheap. I have seen them as high as $120.00 each. Yeah I’m excited as I have a lot now in full sun at my cottage. My daughter plans to build on it, but I have lots of room (no building for 3 years too, she lives in CA right now). The lot is 90x120. Fruit trees are already on it, and a garden, and grape vines. I picked out a number of plants to add, and I will be grafting unto the peach tree there too. happy as otherwise I’m not adding any plants here, my property is maxed out, removing fruit I hardly use in favor of more desirable fruit I enjoy more.
I may pick up one Autumn Brilliance in addition to Honeywood Saskatoon.

1 Like

After a brief search, all I could find was a wholesale nursery that sells a minimum of 100 AB’s at about $360 per 100 for 18" plants. I couldn’t find a source for big, bare root trees although I bet there is one out there that probably only requires you buy 5 or 10- for probably around $20 per. If you can find one that will do that it might be worth it. Such a tree will likely bare significant crops about 4 years sooner than a twig with roots.

Found this range map at 2013 BONAP North American Plant Atlas. TaxonMaps
A great site for plant explorers.
There are a lot of species.

I just planted four of these from a different nursery, but they were truly tiny, just a few inches tall.

I hope they don’t take forever to produce… but it clearly won’t be in the next few years.

1 Like

They will produce some as small plants. Yes it’s a waiting game. I just redid major parts of my garden/orchard and dread the 3 year wait before it’s even is close to where I want it. But I have many very established plants to keep me busy in the meantime.

1 Like

Tennesse wholesale nursery has autumn brilliance for cheap. 4 to 5 ft trees for 3.90 a piece. Minimum 25. Would like to make an order of these but this seems to good to be true so probably is.

no worse than me picking the purple sand cherries on main street. they make great jam! even had the town manager ask me what i was doing. he didn’t even realize he had cherries planted in town. had a bunch of kids on bikes stop and watch me. they asked if they could pick some. i told them anyone can. they must have picked and ate 5lbs between the 3 of them! had to show them how to eat them / spit the pit out. they thought that was pretty cool! i have 2 western serviceberries i planted 3yrs ago in full sun. they produced the second year but I’m not fond of the taste. too bland for me. going to try mixing them with currants honey berries in jam to add some tartness to them.

1 Like

kanasforests.org has 25 serviceberry seedlings for $20 plus shipping. probably small seedings but might be good for covering a large lot. bet a field of these in bloom would be a sight to see!

these r growing under lights right now, if similar to last year they should b nearly 2ft tall by spring… seedlings of lee8.

1 Like

they are fast growers.

1 Like