How to care for Chestnut trees

I planted some chestnuts and hazelnuts this spring in zone 4a somewhat as an experiment. I decided to try the Plantra grow tubes on them. So do I just leave them on until the growth comes out the top, or leave them on until the tube wears out or is pushed open by growth of the trunk, or do I need to remove the tubes at some point. The tubes are simpler to install than deer fencing and rabbit protection. I hope they prove sturdy over the winter.

2 Likes

Also, it is hard to see what is going on in the tubes. Will no side branches grow, or do I have to go in and snip them off?

1 Like

i put in 5 Chinese chestnut and 40 hazels from 3 different nurseries this spring. lost 1 chestnut and 4 hazels. the rest are growing well. ill post how they do on here.

3 Likes

I have been growing chestnut in 4b East UP since 2019 using Plantra tubes. Some have done great some have lagged a bit. Early on, best I can tell you is weed suppression with (good) weed mat or mulch and water the young seedlings to give best start. Some of mine are @ 10’. Planted Dunstan (Pike County), Lovalls Monster, Mossbarger, and Route 9 selected seed. Dunstan, Louvalls, and Mossbarger have done best. I have just left the tubes on but cleaned every spring until they became too big. I have @ 170 in total

3 Likes

I saw this and thought I’d respond. I have two Qing seedlings planted in 2015. This year, one produced ~800 nuts and the other ~500. That’s enough, I think. :slight_smile: I have to imagine that future crops will be bigger.

@castanea makes a good point about the timing of bloom. My two trees bloom at two different times, one slightly later than the other, but with enough overlap that I get a good crop. But I can imagine a failure with two trees blooming without overlap.

3 Likes

As I understand it, there are pollen compatibility issues between different species and hybrids thereof too. Im not up the specifics, mind

1 Like

I planted five Dunstan chestnut trees today, purchased on clearance from a Walmart over 100 miles south of here, so they are somewhat experimental this far north near St. Paul. . They were nice-looking 4-5 foot potted trees for $16 each. I planted them in Plantra grow tubes I had on hand, after pruning out the side branches. I have planted several chestnut trees over the last eight years with just wire fencing around them, and they are mostly alive, but are only knee-high clumps. One variety is Layeroke, another just Chinese chestnut, and I forget what else. There wasn’t much of a selection left when I tried to order last winter. Apparently in Minnesota one cannot even plant certain nut trees, such as butternut, so glad I am east of the state line!

3 Likes

That should have said $15 each for the Dunstans.

2 Likes

I had tubes on my chestnut trees. The tubes are only 4 ft tall. Deer came and kept browsing the tops off. So, I removed the tubes and placed fencing around the trees.

2 Likes

That sounds likely with 4’ tubes. I am wondering if even 5’ is tall enough. I guess I will find out. Thanks, all for your replies.

1 Like

I know Black Creek Farm & Nursery out in Hudsons bay NY piles bamboo cuttings, brambles , honey locust and any dead wood up against his newly planted trees, most of them survive this way :+1: good distraction for the deer, might be best to protect the trunk from rodent damage with plastic or wire

2 Likes

I have chestnuts in 5’ tubes. In the portion of the property with cows, I see at times where the trees have been eaten upon breaking out of the tubes. I still think they’ll be fine. I don’t see any browsing on the section with no cattle.

4 Likes

Lateral branches begin once they clear the top of the tube. Until then, I keep the young tree branches clipped to a central leader to encourage vertical growth

2 Likes

5’ Tubes work pretty well here, and this is a high deer traffic area. The deer seem to avoid rearing up to feed next to tree tubes, as opposed to wire cages. Also, it seems like with the 5 ft tubes the growing tip usually shoots up an extra foot or so, often above the deer’s reach.

4 Likes

id need 7fters to protect from the moose here. :wink:

3 Likes

That’s one thing I’m really thankful for. They live in the mountains, but they don’t cross Keewenaw Bay to where I live.

2 Likes

im suprised at how many wild apple trees we have in this area because moose love to rub on apples. a large bull could really do a number on a large tree.

2 Likes

I’m glad to hear the tubes work fairly well. I have found deer don’t only eat the growing tips, however. They chow down anything they can get their snouts around. Some friends have asked permission to again hunt on our land. I do hope they have a very successful hunt!

3 Likes

Eliinda, I just noticed you have hardware cloth around the bases of your grow tubes. Is it just precautionary or have you had critters chew through and harm your trees?

2 Likes

So Coot4, how do you clip the side shoots each year? What is your procedure?

1 Like